[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Lego Movie : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The Lego Movie

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
gesler0811
Sergeant Major

The Lego Movie

Postby gesler0811 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:10 pm

Any one else seen this yet? If not, just a warning, spoilers will be here.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Then again, maybe not. From some of the things I've seen and heard lately, this sounds like exactly the kind of thing Hollywood might try, especially for a movie catered toward very young kids.

Anyway, some of the themes in the movie got me wondering if maybe the writers weren't trying to make another point entirely.

Let me explain.... (spoilers ahead)

The "man upstairs" made the legos and is revered as something approaching deity by the lego people. He created the world and wants everything to be ordered according to his standard. He even leaves "instructions" for the Lego people to follow to have happy, fulfilling lives. Then his son comes along and starts rearranging things, and showing the people in the Lego world that they have a choice and can choose to not follow the "man upstairs"'s instructions.

Starting to sound like a familiar story to anyone?

The twist here is that "the man upstairs" is basically the villain, and the son manages to convince the father that the Lego people have taken what he created and done their own thing with it (which he presumably should be okay with). Anyone still following "the instructions" is viewed as generic, boring, and not worth anyone's time getting to know them. Furthermore, the only way to become "special" is to forsake "the instructions" and completely and openly rebel against them, which is viewed as creativity. The father/"Man Upstairs" decides to embrace this new philosophy.

Not to be melodramatic or anything, but it seems like the entire movie was just one great big attack against a certain worldview that I shall not name. Even the heavenly city in the clouds was named Cuckoo-land, (or something like that).

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Re: The Lego Movie

Postby Elibet1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:15 pm

I never gave a thought to going to see Lego, but after reading your post I think I just might. :mrgreen:

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:30 am

Our family did go see the Lego movie. We are pretty active church goers. I can see your points about it but I think I just took it for what it was, a movie about a pretend world of Legos created by a little boy. In my own opinion, I think sometimes people love to analyze storylines to a point that they see there was another message intended other than entertainment. I'm not trying to be negative on your interpretation. It has made me think about the movie in a whole new way. I just didn't read much into the storyline when I finished watching it. Mainly it was quite funny and a lot of fun. Beware of the Kragle!

Someone blogged how they thought the movie "Frozen" had a "promote homosexuality" agenda. That blog post got a lot of negative attention as it should have because it was a negative blog, reading a lot of nonsense into the movie's storyline, that's also my opinion. There were counter blog posts arguing what positive messages they got out of the movie. It has two strong female leads and I saw it as a great sister movie. I just saw "Frozen" as a movie that broke out of the shell of the typical Disney movie trope where the queen and the princess didn't need to get married or find their one ever so manly true love to have their happily ever after.

There was some sort of writer based meme I saw the other day. This is just the gist of it-An English teacher will have you analyze a novel and try to define its purpose. All the author intended to do was tell a story.

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:45 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 am

I haven't seen the movie, but I've talked to a lot of people who see it the same way you do. I'm going to go see it with one of my sons before we decide whether to let his kids see it.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:31 pm

I've also heard or read that the Lego movie references the "Occupy" movement & encourages the "little guy" to fight back against global corporate entities. Lego movies have been around for awhile, they've done very funny, cute take-offs of Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter etc. Something you might not know, is how incredibly important Lego can be in the lives of children with autism, particularly boys on the spectrum. My Asperger's kid & her "tribe" have basically had Lego & similar obsessive interests pretty much to themselves*, & found it hard to find anyone else to talk to about this stuff. Now, with the Lego movie, it's everywhere! Every kid in her class is singing the song, quoting the characters, & the girls are getting into it with Unikitty. I think it's really cool that this peripheral Lego culture has infiltrated the neurotypical world on such a grand scale. They've done it with Minecraft, too, apparently. Watch for a Minecraft movie.... or is there one, already?

* I don't mean that only kids on the spectrum find Lego fascinating, it's just that their interest is so all-consuming and persistent over time... on through adolescence and so on.l

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:56 pm

It amazes me that networks like Disney can shove a blatantly corporate agenda driven diet of garbage down kids throats with a 24 hour channel, and they can be bombarded in every other form of media imaginable with similar corpratized crap, and everybody thinks that's fine.

But if a movie has a possible subtext that can be read differently, then we should be up in arms about it?

I'm agnostic, but I'm not urging people not to go see Noah. If it's a good movie, I'll probably see it eventually. My kids have been bombarded with white-dominated, heteronormative, paternalistic, christian-oriented images their entire lives, but nobody seems to think there's anything wrong with that. I'm a heterosexual, white male but it still grates on my nerves.

But, if I'm following here, the fact that there is a movie with a subtext that might be in line with rationalist beliefs, as opposed to a specific religious dogma, should be concerning or carry some kind of warning. Do I have a similar right to be concerned or be warned about movies that contain any possible Judeo-Christian messages?

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:11 pm

I agree with almost all of what you said, Mooky. But as a parent, I want the right to decide what movies my kids see. So if some people decide to skip watching a movie that goes against their beliefs, that's fine by me.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:33 pm

I couldn't agree more. I just find it funny that people think there should be a warning label on something that might not be in lock step with a particular set of views -- which presumes it is fair to assume everything they encounter will be marching to that drum unless otherwise notified.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:12 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Next

Return to Take it Outside!