[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Sayings from my part of the world : Take it Outside! • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Sayings from my part of the world

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Sayings from my part of the world

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:15 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:52 pm

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:30 am

I'm really glad that you posted Cormamant. I've been enjoying this thread with all the different sayings everyone's posted. So thank you.

This one is a Kurdish proverb I like, Do not send the arrow that will return against you.

And this second one is from a tv show, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Although technically not a saying but it works. And I think it's great! :D
Are you so busy fighting you cannot see your own ship has set sail?

kerrymichaelwood
Captain

Postby kerrymichaelwood » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Updog,

As for the question "Were you born in a barn?" I recall the response, "Yeah, and I still hear the jackass braying."

KERRY

LossOfControl
Private E-1

Postby LossOfControl » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:43 am

'Don't let the bastards grind you down'

dwirhj
Private E-1

Postby dwirhj » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:24 pm

hi, I awesome stuff here. thanks for your nice post

ensite
Private E-1

Postby ensite » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:54 am

Wow, I loved reading all of these!

My mother is from New Jersey, but I can't be sure where she got the sayings. I just know I heard them a lot while I was growing up, and thankfully she was referring to others, not me. Usually. :D

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." When she was saying it, she was referring to people not being hypocrites.

"Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet." Sometimes you just have to get it over with.

"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater." Hang onto the valuable things while you're throwing out the waste.

"Caught red handed." You've been caught in the act of doing something.

"Blood is thicker than water." Family comes before everyone else.

"You've gotten a taste of your own medicine." Meaning someone has done something to you that you do to others.

Those are the ones I can remember being said the most. I read through all the posts, but if I've repeated any, I apologize. Kerry, I love your answer to leaving the door open! I wish I would have known that when I was a kid!

dantefrizzoli
Private E-1

Postby dantefrizzoli » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:06 am

Living in Las Vegas you constantly hear, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas," from millions of tourists. This is one saying that really grinds my gears (Peter Griffin reference). It was a saying started by our old Mayor for a Las Vegas commercial, and unfortunately it stuck. This makes it seem like we are committing every single crime here, but when you go back to wherever you came from you can be clean. The Strip only makes up 1% of Las Vegas, so it really isn't anything special that whatever happens there needs to stay there.
Dante - Aspiring Novelist. |

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:33 am

One of my mom's favourites: You can slide farther in s*** than you can in sand. (Similar to "You get more flies with honey...")

A philosophy: Life is like a ladder in a chicken coop, short and full of s***. (Mom seems to like that word...)

Her favourite warning to me as a kid: I'll fix your little red wagon, missy.

I heard some very weird ones from a friend of Hungarian ancestry recently, I think she remembered them from her grandma. My favourite was: A fried pigeon won't fly into your mouth. Not sure what the heck that is supposed to signify.

Previous

Return to Take it Outside!