[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Sayings from my part of the world : Take it Outside! • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Sayings from my part of the world

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Sayings from my part of the world

Postby Jowen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:04 pm

[imge=3509-3]

AibreanShowers
Corporal

Postby AibreanShowers » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Love the one about the mantlepiece, Elibet :D

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:45 pm

It may be strictly regional, but one of my favorite sayings is, "The law of clever business versus the the law of unintended consequences means that square eggs would be very convenient to stack, and wouldn't roll away when you placed one on the counter, but we'd never get any because all the chickens would go on strike."

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:53 pm

[imge=3509-3]

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:34 am

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:19 pm

And, good advice for people expecting hens to lay square eggs, "Don't count your chickens before they are hatched." :D
[imge=3509-3]

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:18 am

My favorite saying is part of a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds...

This quote was said to me by a very good friend when I worked for a software company a dozen years ago. He was referring to management of which I was part of. It was a startup comany, growing fast, and I was trying to go in one direction, which I believe was the correct one. Management wanted me to go in another, which was to lie to customers about the company's capabilities. I wanted to build out an environment that they envisioned on paper but were unwilling to give me the money or manpower. So, they continued to tell customers one thing thinking nothing would ever come of it. The company eventually sold, and I kept my principles after we parted on mutual grounds. I've since built out that legacy with another company that I've worked for 12 years. :D

The Cormorant
Private E-1

Postby The Cormorant » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:21 pm

"The hearts of Arabs are filled with words of furious passion that slip through eloquent tongues, unto deaf ears, which belong to nodding heads."

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:08 pm

My favorite quote really doesn't fall into this category, but it comes from Thoreau. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

I've always been determined not to be in this mass of men.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:03 am

James, that is one of my favorite lines of all time.

On the bread to the baker, there is another one, similar in wording but completely different in meaning: He could sell snow to an Eskimo. Meaning the person can convince anyone to do anything.

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!