[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Sayings from my part of the world : Take it Outside! • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Sayings from my part of the world

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
The Cormorant
Private E-1

Re: Sayings from my part of the world

Postby The Cormorant » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:12 am

Oh! and here's another good one.

"You've caught the snake by its head"

You've already done the hard part, now finish the job. If the saying was literal the person is asking why you haven't cut the snake's head off yet.
"The hearts of Arabs are filled with words of furious passion that slip through eloquent tongues, unto deaf ears, which belong to nodding heads."

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:28 pm

[imge=3509-3]

JustSailing09
Private E-2

Postby JustSailing09 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:56 pm

The Cormorant
Private E-1

Postby The Cormorant » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:34 pm

"The hearts of Arabs are filled with words of furious passion that slip through eloquent tongues, unto deaf ears, which belong to nodding heads."

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Nope -- "Can't put an old head on young shoulders." :lol: English saying.
[imge=3509-3]

The Cormorant
Private E-1

Postby The Cormorant » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:35 am

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 am

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 am

I've enjoyed reading you sayings. Thanks for sharing them. :D

In Glasgow, Scotland concerning the not too savvy:

We'd ask, "Does yer mammy know yer oot?" (Does your mother know you are out?) Meaning: you're acting like a child, or you're an Idiot.

My favorite of my mother's was, They're no looking at the mantlepiece while they are poking the fire. Usually said to console a grieving wife whose husband has..... hooked-up with an 'ugly' woman. :mrgreen:

Did they see you coming? Or They saw you coming! Meaning: you paid way too much for what you got.

Aye, it wis nothing but a pig in a poke! Meaning: the expensive package you bought was empty.

Then there's the question, usually asked when one feels they are being fleeced, "Dae ah look buttoned-up-the-back?" Meaning: Do I look stupid. The more contemporary way to ask the same question would be to ask, "Does it say, 'Mug' oan mah foreheid?" :mrgreen:

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:00 pm

[imge=3509-3]

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:18 pm

:D Do you also know that -- "Life is for the living" and that 'The road to success is not straight. There is a curb called Failure, a loop called Confusion; speed bumps called Friends; red lights called Enemies; caution lights called Family. You will have flats called jobs. But, if you have a spare called Determination; an engine called Perseverance; insurance called Faith, and a driver called Jesus, you will make it to a place called Success!!"

Absolutely LOVE this Jowen! Thanks for sharing it :mrgreen:

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!