[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Sayings from my part of the world : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Sayings from my part of the world

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
AibreanShowers
Corporal

Re: Sayings from my part of the world

Postby AibreanShowers » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:44 pm

My husband's father used to always say,

"Ignore your teeth and they'll go away."

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:25 am

Cormorant said:

1. " Wolves don't wander aimlessly"

The wolf in Arab culture, is likened to sinister intent and cunning. If someone says this to you, they are implying that you have an angle and want something specific from them which you're not being forthcoming about.

Many cultures use the wolf as a symbol of sinister intent. In England, a person, outwardly benign but inwardly cunning, would be referred to as a "wolf in sheep's clothing." And everyone knows about the wicked wolf in the Little Red Riding Hood story.
[imge=3509-3]

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:35 am

I like your Arabian words of wisdom. My mother had several she used often teaching my brothers and me words to live by:

1. The way the egg is cooked is the way you'll eat it.
When planning things for yourself, make sure you plan well as that is the way you will have to live.

2. The way you make your bed is the way you will sleep in it.
Similar to the one above.

3. Make your bed, you never know when the President might come to visit.
Keep a neat and clean house.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:55 am

Thank you so much for posting those. Cliches are funny things -- I was able to enjoy yours, because they aren't cliches in my world, and they are quite well-turned phrases. Particularly the walnut - I loved that.

A potential new writing tool -- great adages that are not cliches in our culture yet. It's the best of both worlds (oops). (It made me chuckle when you slipped into a Western cliche to explain one of your Middle Eastern adages).

The Cormorant
Private E-1

Postby The Cormorant » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:07 pm

"The hearts of Arabs are filled with words of furious passion that slip through eloquent tongues, unto deaf ears, which belong to nodding heads."

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:18 pm

The Cormorant
Private E-1

Postby The Cormorant » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:49 pm

"The hearts of Arabs are filled with words of furious passion that slip through eloquent tongues, unto deaf ears, which belong to nodding heads."

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:04 pm

I will most certainly check out where Bahrain is located. I love your great sense of humor and really appreciate your telling us something about yourself. This to me, makes our world really seem so much smaller and helps one to understand another and what they and their culture is all about. I'm all for that. Thank you again for sharing and I will look forward to reading more of your writings.

JustSailing09
Private E-2

Postby JustSailing09 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Nice to meet you :)
It is fascinating to meet people from all over here. I have some foreign background, as my father is from Iran. My mother is native here, in the US. Your quotes are very interesting. Thanks for the interpretations as well.

The Cormorant
Private E-1

Postby The Cormorant » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:59 am

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!