[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Rain....Rain.... : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Rain....Rain....

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
DCR1986
Private E-1

Rain....Rain....

Postby DCR1986 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Today, Rain is the hot topic. When I think of rain, I think of comfort. Soft jazz. Fragrance candle. Warm drink. and a Heartful Smile. What do you guys think of? or Feel? :arrow:

rosebud
Major

Re: Rain....Rain....

Postby rosebud » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:15 am

What do I think of? Sleeping.

What do I feel? Cold because my husband won't turn up the heat.

I like your take on it though. I'll have to try it. :D

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:13 pm

I've spent a lot of time outdoors, sometimes weeks at a time, with no "indoors" available. Because of that, my perspective bias on something like rain is that I tend to think of it as something I primarily feel, not see or hear.

It's funny, because this thread just made me realize there is rain in my MS twice, and my MC is out in it both times. Although, I guess it could be raining a whole bunch and I wouldn't be writing about it, because it would probably only be mentioning (to me) if it was something my character was stuck in.

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:22 am

B.C. rain -- a welcome respite from the sun's summer heat
a fire, a book, and a soft music beat
but rain and more rain in the spring and fall,
it rains and it rains, there's no change at all.
in winter it rains, so it’s much the same thing,
even ducks here fly with head under a wing.
Last edited by Jowen on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[imge=3509-3]

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:40 am

Love you R C Rain Jowen. :D

For me rain is a welcome visitor as long as it does not come with hurricane winds. I will take a chair, a nice warm mug of tea, and sit just inside the garage (don't have a covered porch) and really enjoy the show.

Merry Christmas,
Elizabeth :D

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Summer rain - frizzy hair, mosquitos, humidity, cranky
Winter rain - bluesy, reflective, books and choc chip cookies

I'm a sun person. Love to see it but can't be in it.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:09 am

I'm an outdoorsman, too, so rain is often more of a negative. I do love listening to rain on the window or the roof, and it makes for great sleeping, but it can also stop a person from getting out and doing some things. I was on a week long camping trip may years ago. I went primitive, which meant no tent, no anything except minimum survival gear. The rain held off until I made it to the middle of nowhere, and then it rained all day, everyday, and the only shelter I had was a lean-to constructed from materials at hand. Not horrible, but not the best week of my life, either.

And the times I've been caught out in severe lightning storms stick in my memory like gum on a shoe. Believe me, you do not want to be caught above the tree line when a big storm comes rolling over the mountain. It's an experience you won't soon forget. . .if you live through it, which is not at all guaranteed.

And rain, where I live, brings the threat of a tornado for most of the year. Of many tornadoes. Just a couple of months back, well out of what is normally considered tornado season, my state had more than forty tornadoes in one night.

But does anyone here live in desert country? The kid of desert that's dry and barren almost all year, and then the rains come hard and fast and turn the desert into a garden of blooms in a matter of hours? It's hard to beat that.

But rain? It makes a real pretty sound, and not much smells better than wet earth after a long dry spell, or is prettier than the desert when the rains come, but I'm always had a love/hate relationship with rain, and it's been an enemy as often as it's been a friend.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:55 am

At this time in life, rain makes me reflective. I like to listen to it whether it is a soft rain or a raging rain. I watched a Missouri tornado approach. The radio lists the street its on and one must take cover. I'd never been in a tornado so I was fascinated and stood at my front door watching. When it blew the roof off the house across the street I ran to the basement. I've been in New Mexico when they had a deluge. There are no sewer water drains in the streets and the water found its own depth. Also the arroyos were rushing like crazy.I've lived in Florida during hurricane season when you'd think the rain and wind would never stop. I've also lived in the woods and observed the gentle rains that came and soothed the troubled soul. I guess my thoughts on rain now reflect the poem I wrote in 2012:

AND ITS RAINING
8/26/12

The trees in the woods are crying
It’s raining

Skies are gray and gloom abounds
It’s the reign of fall and not of spring

The spirit of my soul is crying
It’s raining

So many years have come and gone
The spring of my youth has turned to fall

And it’s raining
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:53 pm

I love the rain, and unlike others here, who seem to hate getting wet, a rainy day calls me outdoors. I like tromping through puddles. I like the way it sounds when the raindrops beat against my raincoat, and the feel of rain pelting my shoulders. I like watching raindrops drip off my hood and don't even care that it musses up my glasses. I get the good kind of chills if I can stand under a tin roof when the rain's coming down hard, when it's so loud it hurts my ears. I like the squeak of the windshield wipers when I'm driving in rain, and the way it sounds on the car roof, and watching it splatter as it hits the highway. I love walking in the woods after a rain, or when it's just misting, especially in the fall. The leaves are all soggy under my feet, so it's easy to sneak up on wildlife. Then I just hunker down with my back against a tree and watch them. The musty smell of wet leaves brings back memories of past walks through the woods with my dad, when we were squirrel hunting or just checking cows. Tree bark feels almost slippery when you touch it after a rain, especially the kinds with the rough bark, like Hackberry and Ash, and for some reason I always want to touch it. It's easy to imagine there are entrances to fairy or gnome houses under the trees where the roots are exposed, like next to a creek bank. I see the little tricksters from the corners of my eyes when I walk alone in the rain.

Whenever it rains, my kids say it's camping weather, since it rains almost every time we go camping. Nothing is more exhilarating than holing up in tent during a summer storm. Lightning and thunder cracking all around you. Water pouring in through the seams or pooling in the low spots and then drip, drip, dripping on your bed. If it's a good storm, you'll get a workout trying to hold the poles up to keep the whole thing from caving in on you, and it's almost always at night, so the only time you can see anything is during flashes of lightning. The last time I went camping with extended family, it stormed. It still makes me laugh to remember watching my nephew's dome tent fall flat on the ground, and then popped back up. Down, up, down, up, until finally we saw him crawling out the zipper of his flattened tent like he was being birthed. The waves were crashing against the rocks by our campground so hard that the next morning we found a fish in one of the lawn chairs. What a great way to bond. It's something none of us will ever forget.

When we get enough rain to make the rivers and creeks breech their banks, everybody leaves work to drive out and watch it. It's an event. This is Nebraska, after all. There's not a whole lot else to do around here. So yeah, I love the rain.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Next

Return to Take it Outside!