[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Too much technology ;+} : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Too much technology ;+}

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
dantefrizzoli
Private E-1

Re: Too much technology ;+}

Postby dantefrizzoli » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:07 am

Oh how I miss the days of stopping to look up a word in the dictionary. Now I Google it, or even worse if I can't remember how it is spelled I attempt to spell it and Google finds it for me. We are so dependent on technology now...
Dante - Aspiring Novelist. |

thexpressivewriter
Private E-1

Postby thexpressivewriter » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:56 am

Haha. In my Pre-U course subject called "Challenge and Change in Society", this was discussed as well. Eventually, we were given an assignment.

"24-Hour Electronic Media Fast"

In short, we could not have access to the following for the entire 24 hours:

- Radios
- PCs/Laptops/Desktops
- Handphones/Mobile phones
- Internet
- MP3
- etc

:lol: Suffice to say, it was an interesting 24 hours. No WhatsApp, no PC - nothing. It was just me. Myself.

It got me wondering, and thinking back to the past really. How did I let myself get so dependent on technology? How did I let myself become so materialistic?

It's true that time passes and changes and so do all of us, but sometimes the simple things also do matter. To take a break and not think about whether there's any WhatsApp messages waiting for me, to enjoy myself and throw myself into my hobbies and playing of instruments, to actually go out and meet friends both old and new, and family face-to-face and stuff. Ya know?

To just forget about those little emails, Facebook and stuff. Just...some time for yourself. And/Or time with those who you're close with, to communicate again.

But without technology. Genuinely just talk, and get to know each other. Bond. Play those childhood board games, rediscover old hobbies, things like that.

Honestly, I recommend that everyone do this once in awhile, at least. Because sometimes we forget the little things that matter.
"You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life." - Albert Camus

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:18 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:22 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:12 pm

I've never even thought of it in these terms, but I unplug completely a LOT. I'm about an hour away from walking out to my already fueled and loaded car, and driving to a secluded spot on a favorite river where I will spend the next three days hiking, fly fishing, eating, sleeping, and writing. All without hearing a sound not provided by nature, and only my dog and my muse as company. I live for that time.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:32 am

~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:27 am

thexpressivewriter
Private E-1

Postby thexpressivewriter » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:05 am

Wow, it's been a couple of months since I've been in the forums @@

I'm not saying that technology is to blame for everything though. It's more of the fact that it would be nice to just be without technology every once in awhile. No need to answer that WhatsApp message, that e-mail and stuff.

Like a few weeks ago when I was in Taiwan for a seminar/conference, in which I stayed at a temple for two weeks. It was nice and easy and simple, and I didn't want to leave. In those two weeks, I barely touched my phone. Even if I did, it was to communicate with my parents. Two weeks of minimal usage of technology, mostly only once to set an alarm for the next morning. Besides following the program, occasionally I would simply take long walks around.

Afterwards, though, it took me some time to readjust.
"You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life." - Albert Camus

123count
Private E-1

Postby 123count » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:54 am

Why don't you ask from the computer store you got your wi-fi computer for suggestions?
Maybe they can help
Or there must be some manual for that?
Just check out customer service or HELP if it's online.
It's free.

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!