[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Too much technology ;+} : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Too much technology ;+}

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Too much technology ;+}

Postby G-Girl2 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:00 am

In the last two years I've placed most of my books in storage (in part due to space but mostly due to a pair of book eating Basenjis), and I've since been reading solely from my iPad and occasionally my Kindle. The other day I was reading an actual hardback book for the first time in months and when I got to a word I didn't know I pressed and held it. . .waiting for the definition to pop up. The saddest part? I did it twice before I figured out what was wrong.

updog
General of the Army

Re: Too much technology ;+}

Postby updog » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:01 am

:lol: That's sad, G-girl. Really sad. :lol:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:07 am

Yesterday we were given a new Kindle, which we have wanted so we would not have to go out in winter for our books from the library. Matt's granddaughter gave this to us and downloaded all the free games. However, the main reason for wanting one was not downloaded. I understand it takes a WIFI Is that correct, in order to download the books. Where or what must we do to get this done. My daughter just bought a new wifi computer, can she do the downloading for us? PLEASE SOMEONE WHO IS COMPUTER SMART, HHHHEEEELLLLPPP. This new world is changing so fast, we can't keep up, although for 95 I think Matt is doing just wonderfully. We just need a little help. Thanks
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Postby G-Girl2 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Some Kindles have 3G built in and can download without wifi---I'd check my model first to see what it's capable of. Your daughter can have a wi-fi ready computer, but that doesn't mean that she's using wifi at home---just ask, I'm sure she could tell you. If she is, she can download library books for you (your library can help if you haven't already created a sign-in with their website) or, if your library has wi-fi which most do, you can download them there which will at least spare you the necessity of returning books in bad weather.

I'm not certain if you can download library books to your computer and then to your Kindle (I've never tried), but there are more than a million free books, and millions more under a dollar, that you can download to your computer from Amazon and then sync to your Kindle via USB. If you go to Amazon.com and then to the Kindle Support page, they give instructions on how to do this that actually work. ;+}

G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Postby G-Girl2 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Last edited by G-Girl2 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks for the information. We will visit my daughter next Monday (week from now) and see if she can help. You young'hns seem to know every new thing that comes out. I may have been there when computers were in their infancy, but I'm sure out of the loop now. So thanks for the information, even though some of what you said is "Greek" to me.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:29 pm

I'm not the most computer savvy person around here, but the WiFi is a modem of sorts. It's connected to your internet, whether cable or dish, and it allows you to have computer access in various parts of your home.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:45 pm

G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Postby G-Girl2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:21 pm

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 pm