[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
what do you do when you can't sleep and too tired to write? : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

what do you do when you can't sleep and too tired to write?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
rosebud
Major

Re: what do you do when you can't sleep and too tired to wri

Postby rosebud » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Well, I did manage to fall asleep, but don't you know, the phone rang at 8 am. I hate when that happens. And of course it was for my son so I had to actually get up to give him the phone. Arrgh!

Tonight I'm going to try the red wine and read. I still have nine more books to go in the reading challenge.

I already take magnesium, but I've never tried it with melatonin. That's what my youngest son suggested also. I can't get up and do to much as everyone else is asleep and I don't want to wake them. I've heard about that 20 minute rule. I've also tried sleeping backwards on my bed. That actually works sometimes, but I end up having the strangest dreams.

Jowen, that was a good one about the lotions.

I also like the classical music idea. I'll have to try that one.

Thanks everyone. If anyone else wants to chime in, I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say. There's never really any one single answer to this dilemma.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:15 pm

For sleeping, I find a CD of nature sounds, rain, a mountain stream, etc., does much better than music.

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:12 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:56 am

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:33 am

You know Terry, I think you just explains what happens when I have the room a/c on. I fall asleep and find I sleep most of the night. It must be the hum that lulls one to sleep. But a/c or no, I still wake up to roam around. Darn, but I do get around three hours and that's not bad, sometimes it's all night..
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:11 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:27 pm

I live on a farm, so I use white noise (a fan) to block out the nature sounds. I like listening to owls and frogs and cicadas and stuff, but my African geese honk all night and it drives me bonkers.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Postby G-Girl2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:53 pm

I keep a bottle of cold water by the bed---if I don't fall asleep immediately, I take a sip every few minutes until I do. I thought this was just my own brand of crazy, but your question caused me to Google "cold water sleep" which led to several articles about a "cold water cure" for insomniacs. It involves a cap with cold water circulating through tubes on it to cool the brain. Who knew?

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:56 pm

gbtreasures
Private E-1

Postby gbtreasures » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:17 am

I read something I wrote-that always works for me! jk
I have taken Valerian Root with great results. VR is an herb that helps you to relax but doesn't knock you out. It helps you sleep but doesn't put you to sleep, if you know the difference.
It doesn't work for everyone, but works for me. I suspect those it doesn't work for have expectations of VR "putting them out". I don't believe it is habit forming, but definitely research the herb before taking.

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!