[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
what do you do when you can't sleep and too tired to write? : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

what do you do when you can't sleep and too tired to write?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
rosebud
Major

what do you do when you can't sleep and too tired to write?

Postby rosebud » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:28 am

It's 2:30 am and I can't fall asleep. I also don't feel like writing. My eyes are heavy but the yawn thing is just not happening. What do you do when this happens to you?
Normally I read but my eyes are not focusing. The sleepy time tea is starting to work but not fast enough. I have to get up and work tomorrow.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

xylene
Private E-2

Re: what do you do when you can't sleep and too tired to wri

Postby xylene » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:38 am

Story of my life. I can be tired all day, and suddenly it's midnight and I'm totally wired and I can't sleep. I'd usually recommend reading a book, but if you can't you could try a glass of wine before you go to bed. Personally, it makes me so sleepy I just pass out as soon as my head hits the pillow (as opposed to taking around 2 hours to fall asleep).

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:38 am

i read!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Not sleeping nights is awful. It happens to me almost every night. I've read till my eyes are bloodshot, worked crossword puzzles till the lines are wavy, I've had sleepy time tea, I've taken an aspirin to relax me, I've even taken prescription sleeping pills on occasion. Even they did not work. Recently Women's World had a piece saying that you should drink a glass of beer before retiring or a glass of red wine, something about it increases the amount of seratonin to induce sleep. Well, that might be nice for other people, but I can't have any alcoholic beverages. So I thank God for nights that I can sleep and do all of the above (except drink) when I can't sleep. ZZZZ Snore ZZZZZ Snore Oh well, I still have a sense of humor.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Some nights I can't sleep, either, so yesterday, frustrated with myself, I bought some "Sleep" a soothing Relax-Before-Sleep Lavender/Vanilla body lotion. :) A little applied to neck and shoulders before bed helps reduce feelings of stress so you can sleep better -- or so the bottle says. But, although pleasant, the fragrance was so strong it kept BOTH HUBBY AND I awake all night. :lol: Heaven only knows what "Sensual" -- Put-Love-In-the-Air would do. :D Fortunately, I'm not stressed -- only unable to relax some nights so I can use the lotion to increase activity during the day. :D

Once, suffering from severe sleep deprivation due to stress, I asked my doctor for help. He prescribed Valium for one month only (Valium is very addictive). One pill per night for a week, half dose second week, quarter third and fourth weeks. Amazing. It worked. Bless his heart. Being established on a good sleep pattern saved my life and sanity, I'm sure.
Last edited by Jowen on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
[imge=3509-3]

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 am

They say that if you can't get to sleep within twenty minutes, get up and do something else, anything else. Staying n bed when you can't sleep just reinforces insomnia.

I don't worry about writing, reading, or sleeping. I do whatever I feel like doing, and if I feel like doing nothing, I turn on the idiot box and flip channels until I'm sleep enough to try again.

Fortunately, I'm a full-time writer, so I can set my own work schedule. If I show up a couple of hours late for work, the boss doesn't complain much. I have no idea what I'd do if I had a nine t five job, and a lot of sleepless nights.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:07 pm

I've totally screwed up my sleep schedule since the kids have been out of school. I know I'm going to be taking my own advice here. Some things that help me is taking Magnesium and Melatonin before bed. Melatonin is really inexpensive. You need Magnesium anyway. I also take ibuprofren and I usually relax better and wake up with less shoulder pain. I have had lots of chronic pain issues as it is and I'm a terrible sleeper. Taking those three helps me a ton. When I have a really awful time I take Valerian too. It smells like dirty socks though. It is suppose to help you sleep. It has helped me. I don't like taking prescription drugs. I also prefer to exercise at the end of the day. I sleep better when I have done that. Yoga is probably the best and there are plenty of DVDs.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:38 pm

My eyes can't focus, either. But that's old age. Not sleep deprivation. :cry: :lol:

When the body needs to shut down, but won't, have a CD of classical music handy. For me, classical music evokes images and scenes, almost like dreaming. Once I can't tell the difference between awake and asleep, I know I'm asleep.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:20 pm

[imge=3509-3]

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:32 pm

[imge=3509-3]

Next

Return to Take it Outside!