[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
SIGN OF THE TIMES? : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

SIGN OF THE TIMES?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

SIGN OF THE TIMES?

Postby LilliesCarol » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:46 pm

I wonder, is it a sign of the times or a case of "Darling, you are growing older?"
Yesterday I went to our local grocery chain's produce section. After looking around, I could not find what I wanted and I knew what I wanted was in season, so asked two young men stocking produce, "Where will I find the cola rabbi?" The younger man looked at the a somewhat older man and mumbled something I couldn't hear. They walked to another section of the department and stood in front of a section continually talking. After a long wait, I just gave up and went on with my shopping. About five minutes later, the younger of the two approached me and said, "would you please come with me?"
We reached the produce department and the young man pointed to some cola rabbi hidden under a bunch of leaves and said, "Is this what you want?"
"Yes, that is what I am looking for."

"Sorry, but neither the department manager nor I ever heard of cola rabbi."
"You mean to tell me the manager of this department does not know the products of his own department? What is this world coming to?"
The young man just looked at me and said, "I guess I'll know what it is now."

Like I said, is it a sign of the times when young adults haven't a clue what fine fresh vegetables are, even when they work in the vegetable department, or am I just getting old when I think about the fun times my friends and I had stealing cola rabbi from the farmer's garden and roasting them on an open pit.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Deb E
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: SIGN OF THE TIMES?

Postby Deb E » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:38 pm

I'm not that much younger than you and I've never heard of it. Perhaps it's indigenous to your area. I Googled it with no luck. Describe it, please, and show us a picture.
Debra Easterling
www.debraeasterling.com

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:25 pm

It's spelled "kohlrabi". I pronounce it call-a-rabee because that's how all the old folks in my town say it. (We have a heavy Czech dialect here.) I eat my kohlrabi fresh. Mmm. Tastes sort of like cabbage. We used to eat turnips fresh from the garden until Mom discovered kohlrabi. We decided the kohlrabi beat the turnips hands down, so we plant them now instead. Never tried them cooked though. But I agree they are delicious, and it's kind of sad that a grocer wouldn't know what they were.

With urban gardens becoming so popular now, maybe kids will figure out that things from the dirt are much tastier than things from a box. :mrgreen:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:59 am

I know what it is, but I worked in an organic farm shop for a year, so...
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:22 am

You're right Updog. When I checked the spell checker it gave me three options, this was the closest one to spelling kohlrabi. Your pronunciation is spot on. With my German background that is exactly how we pronounced it. Of course maybe the spell check thought I meant the "rabbi wanted a cola?" In this world anything is possible. We eat them sliced raw (an excellent tidbit with crackers and vodka tonics) or I cook them to eat smothered with butter. YUMMMM either way.

Good for you Louise. Have you ever tried it?

Deb, they are pale green in color. After you take the leaves off I usually peal them, (although when we were kids, we just ate the entire thing, having gotten them from the farmer's garden, naughty kids). They are hard in consistency sort of like a raw beet. and about the same size as a beet. Sorry I don't have a picture or I'd paste it. They have a bit of a bite to them when young and raw, which makes them great with drinks. by the way, Deb, I know darn well you're not older than I am. tee hee :lol:

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:54 am

We used to grow it in our backyard garden. Great stuff.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:48 am

i've always spelled/pronounced 'kohlrabi' 'cole-rah-bee'... in what part of the country is it spelled/called 'cola rabbi' ['cola-ra-bye'?]?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:16 am

It may have been the pronunciation that confused them (I knew coal-rahbie, not cola-rabbi, so I wasn't sure that's what you meant either). I've worked in the frozen foods department for over three years and get stumped by customers all the time - and it typically ends up being either a different term than what's used in our area or the pronunciation. It could also be that, regardless of age, they hadn't worked in the department that long. It takes time to learn all the products in one department, but believe me, you do learn them all.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:41 am

In the spell check I used, Maia, maybe the thought I wanted to give a cola to the rabbi? I don't know, but no matter how one spells it or pronounces it. They are fantastic little morsels and I love 'em.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Carol, I did see where you explained your spelling in the later post. But truthfully, with whatever spelling or pronounciation used, I have never heard of it myself. The most exotic vegetables I've had experience with is kale and okra. I'm not the most experienced when it comes to vegetables either. A majority of them are just too bitter for me to enjoy. Even watermelon is unappealing to me and my kids can't get enough of it. Sadly I would be one of those that hasn't got a clue.

Next

Return to Take it Outside!