[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
GoodReads : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

GoodReads

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Oldtimer
Colonel

GoodReads

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47 am

I signed up for GoodReads yesterday, but found it overwhelming. Please will some of you seasoned users give me some guidance.

First of all, I'm confused about rating. I have read many of the books that came up in the categories. Am I expected to read them again before giving a rating? It would take me forever and I'd like to get on with the books I haven't read. BTW I'm assuming that I don't have to pay anything to read these books. Am I right?

From first glance, this looks like a potential time-hogger because, once I start reading, everything else goes by the board. I'll never get my own story finished. Is there a time line for rating books on your shelf, or can you take your own sweet time?

Also, can these books be downloaded to a device? I had hoped to read some of these while I am on holiday but I am reluctant to take my computer overseas with me. I don't have a Kindle, just the Kindle app which lets me read e-books on the computer, but I do have a Nook. Can I use that?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

kellysaid
Captain

Re: GoodReads

Postby kellysaid » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:46 am

young adult author, find me here >> | | |

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Oldtimer, I do pretty much what Kelly said. Goodreads is a great place to keep track of books you've read and share your opinion in reviews if you choose. There are book clubs and discussion groups if you'd like to get involved in that. And no, you don't have to reread the books before you rate them.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:00 am

Thank you, Kelly and Updog. I've got a better take on what goes on now. As long as the site doesn't hassle me to give a review within a given time period, this looks like being an interesting spot for me to hang around in. :)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Aaaaaaagh! Why does Google think my e-mail needs to be organized!!!!!!!!!! Why can't they just leave it alone?
Here I am thinking I have no mail and THEY have put it into clumps ... social, promotions, etc., etc. I can do without that.

Sorry for the rant, folks.

Thank you, updog, for the friend request. I've only just found it. Yes, please. I would like to be your friend. And I think there's something in there about you, Kelly. Let me go see what it is. :!:

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:35 pm

You can send me a friend request, Dorothy: "Paul Swearingen". I think.

And I use GR mostly as a database for keeping track of books I've read, although I also have listed the seven novels I have available for sale so that I can see how people have rated them.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Return to Take it Outside!