[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Good Bye : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Good Bye

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Good Bye

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:19 pm

I just want to say that I had no part in this hoo-hah. Somebody got me mixed up with Carol.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

deloughy
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby deloughy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:21 pm

So, what? Leave and stop learning? That'll show them! :|

I appreciate your posts and they make me laugh when you post those little stories involving other forumites. :D

If I allowed myself to be offended by every insult people offered me on here or in life, I think I'd spend my life miserable. Don't let it get to you. I mean really, why is personal happiness so reliant on the approval of others? Who cares? Shrug it off.

I read the thread and I must say, the word "inane" was directed in a general sense, from what I gather. I in no way interpret it as directed toward you, and I'm not just saying that (I have this terrible habit of only saying what I really mean).

I do, however, agree with you that people need to PM the insults. The problem is some people have no self control. Some people have no respect for others and some people don't care about making themselves look bad while trying to make someone else look bad. I see it often. I refrain when something someone says makes me angry. I even refrain when defending myself. Some people don't have this sort of self control and allow themselves to get all uppity over the dumbest things. That's their problem. You can only choose to make it yours.

I think if you belong to a forum or any other public site involving social networking, you have to accept that there's a certain amount of hate you must take. Not everyone is going to like you, not everyone is going to agree with everything you say and not everyone is going to control themselves with what they say around you. And there will be things people say that will make you angry; just think like I do: People who lack self-control, manners, respect for others, and inhibit such dishonorable traits will not make it far, because even if they do have talent, they'll be impossible to work with. :D

If you do choose to leave, or have left already, then I wish nothing but the best for you.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 pm

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Here is the list of pm's that i had sent before starting this thread..

Jaus tail to pls

Hello,

Inane? I wont try to put another piece of adjective over there but no one was having any problem with my post. So to lock after my post was uncalled for. If anyone has ever had any problem with any of my post, i have apologized to that person and refrained from referring to him in the future. But to use the word inane, was not cool.

This forum has helped me a lot so i'll always be glad that i came here, but even i have helped others.

Using inane wasn't required.

Jaus

pls to jaus tail

Thanks for your feedback. It would seem that you can dish it out but not take it. Come on, man - this is a critique forum, and the use of "inane" is quite appropriate in characterizing some of the posts which appeared in this thread, yours included, which strayed completely away from critique to personal attacks to reminders of the purpose of a critique forum to the irrelevant. Be happy that I chose merely to lock the thread and not delete it and issue warnings to offenders.

jaus to pls

Whom have i offended?

pls to jaus

Excuse me? This isn't about you; it's about posts which have nothing to do with critiquing others' literary posts in the thread.

jaus to pls

[color=#4000FF]I am objecting to the use of word inane for my posts. Inane means absurd, and had my posts been absurd others wouldn't have commented on them.

Yes, I had also referred you as a character but when you didn't reply on it, I refrained from mentioning you. I did the same with any other forumite. For those who didn't reply on my post, I didn't use their names again.

One forumite was angry at my post, and I cleared the air with her.

But there are quite a few folks who have smiled or laughed because of my story, so i don't think the stories/posts were absurd. i enjoyed writing them as much as they enjoyed reading them.

For me, absurd is something "I dont understand." Had any other forumite not understood it, they would've said so or at least wouldn't have replied with an "lol" emoticon on the post.

You can say, that the stories didn't belong in that forum. I would've restricted writing the stories to the conversation and take it outside forum.

But the word absurd for those posts wasn't required. You may find them absurd, but I dont.

The aim of a debate should be progress not victory.

[/color]pls to jaus

I don't recall seeing the post using my name as a character.

You don't get it, do you? Your posts are inappropriate in that they hijack a thread in which a person has placed a sample of writing, hoping for critiques, not competing posts. Please do "restrict your writing the stories" to your own threads in the critique forum so that all may comment on their nature, quality, grammar, etc. THAT'S WHAT THE CRITIQUE FORUMS ARE FOR.

Now … I do not need a debate pen pal in my life, and you have refused to accept my directions as forum mod in this matter. Consider this a warning that I consider your further communiques as harassment via PM, and should I receive any more PM's on this subject from you, I shall issue a formal warning, and if you persist, I shall ban you from the forums. End of discussion.

to others,

pls said,
the use of "inane" is quite appropriate in characterizing some of the posts which appeared in this thread, yours included,

I agree that when you post any thing on the internet you should be brave enough to accept the reviews/feedback or whatever adjectives are used for it. But I also believe that a writer has a right to ask, why have you used that word?

if i read a post in a horror forum, or a question in the conversation forum and i reply, 'oh it's silly.' then the writer has a right to ask, 'why do you think it's silly? why have you called it silly?' i did it via pm.

i justified my question, silly means something that the other person doesn't understand. what part of my story was silly?

i agree that they didn't belong in that section and i will refrain from doing it. but i asked a question, why was the word inane used?

i didn't want to make this public. but you said,

Be happy that I chose merely to lock the thread and not delete it and issue warnings to offenders.

This implies i was one of the offender, so i merely asked, whom have i offended.

you said, Excuse me? This isn't about you; it's about posts which have nothing to do with critiquing others' literary posts in the thread.

So fine i'll refrain from hijacking other's threads, but a writer has a right to ask, 'why have you used the word inane?'
Have a nice day

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Deep sigh... :(

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Jaus, I worry that my post is going to be taken personally. I hope you take it in the vein it's intended. But I can't force that on you.

I subscribe to Writer's Digest. I did that because I have a passion for writing and I enjoy writing but I *also* want to hone my craft.

My first recollection of you is posting a question about rules of magic. You got some answers, then suddenly you're posting some kind of plot involving users' names here as characters. People laughed, people thought it was fun and funny. All well and good. But I also noticed that people stopped talking about the question you raised in the first place.

You don't find even a thread of absurdity in that?

I saw you do that multiple times. And, hey, guess what? You and I have hardly posted at all to each other. Why? Here's the part that I worry is going to hurt:

Because inane is the adjective that came to my mind. On more than one occasion, you've injected yourself into a conversation by posting stories and remarks that were comical, whimsical, light.

Only the topic was not.

I simply stayed away. I didn't see any reason to step on your whimsy. But I, personally, found it kept (and keeps) distracting from the topic being discussed.

I don't for a moment believe that was your intent. But that doesn't undo the absurdity.

Think for a moment. In your own words, what is Critique Central about? Is it a place where if someone brings up Buddhism or Judeo-Christian theology or Zoroastrianism, that they want to discuss that? Does someone post a scientific thesis about gluons in Critique Corner because they want us to help them determine if they've got angular momentum just right? Or is the intent to have fellow writers look at the writing, help them to put that writing into the best form possible so that their peers and intended audience, *they* can look at the content and get into the actual debate of the topic?

These posts and threads aren't writing prompts. At least, I don't respond in threads to prompt anyone's writing. I think you can be whimsical and creative and fun and still respect the intent of the others who post here.

I think all whimsy and no craft makes Jack a dull boy.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:02 pm

I am sad beyond words. All this back and forth bickering must stop. If I have offended anyone I sincerely apologize and ask for forgiveness. I gave up being a Mod here a few years ago, but I still report spam or problem posts and I've always tried to be kind and respectful when doing so.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:17 am

Hi Rob, thanks for your post.

Here’s my justification,
I wrote stories in my threads because my questions were answered. If I needed more answers to those questions, I’d put that up.

It was my way of thanking the folks.

Inane is something people don’t understand.

Yes, I agree that I was hijacking the thread in the spiritual section and have even mentioned in a PM to Pls that I would refrain from entering threads of others. But the kind of language he’s used in those pm’s… I’m out of here.

He maybe a mod but that doesn’t mean he can say, ‘be happy I haven’t deleted the posts.’ And if he can say, I don’t have to listen to it. End of discussion.

I don’t have to respect him nor do I have to insult him. I asked him a logical question as to why had he called it inane. He could’ve simply said what you said. I agree that we must take criticism for our actions but we also have a right to question the criticism. A logical question. I never wanted to bring this out in the open but the last pm...i wanted to settle this between me and him only. it's just a small argument grown out of proportion.

And as for the discussion in my thread going off topic, my questions were answered and it was my way of thanking them. It was all meant in good spirit. If anyone didn’t like it I stopped mentioning their name in the other stories.

You can delete those posts and stories, and no need to ban me. I’m out of here.
Have a nice day

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:50 am

I'm sorry to hear that, Jaus. I don't like seeing people turn down an opportunity to grow.

And that's what this is. I don't believe that the answer is either/or.

But if you've made up your own mind, I'll leave it at that.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:13 am

the thread in the spiritual section is not for discussing beliefs.

if i post a story in the sci fi forum, and if a forumite points out his belief on a scientific topic, and not on grammar. the story involved a plot on scene on how guns are made, and a forumite finds a flaw/difference of knowledge/opinion in the theory then the reviewer can post it.

if in the forum, a law suit is being discussed and there is a wrong word used for law terms, then the reviewer can point it out.
i am talking about my post before the stories. if a story involved an adivasi plot in africa and if there is flaw in a ritual, then a forumite can say so. yes, religious beliefs arent objective.

if there is a story on a theory on bermuda triangle and i say, 'oh it's wrong, i've read this.' a discussion on that would be valid.

i wrote those stories because my name was involved in a fight.

as for my stories hijacking the post, i realize i shouldn't have done that and i will refrain from repeating the act.

but the pm's i received were out of line. at first it was, 'seems like you can dish out others but cannot take it.'

i havent insulted anyone.

then, 'be happy i have only locked the thread and not issued a formal warning to the offenders.'

imo, this implies even i'm the offender. so i asked whom have i offended, so i'm replied with, 'excuse me..this isnt about you...'

i have used polite language and logic in my pm's.

of course the world has folks who are tough, and we must be thick skinned but why fight when a simple answer can solve all problems.
Have a nice day

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!