[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
So you think you're a nice person? Hm... : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

So you think you're a nice person? Hm...

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
robjvargas
Captain

Re: So you think you're a nice person? Hm...

Postby robjvargas » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:44 pm

I understand what you're saying, Rob, and I agree that what you describe above IS oftentimes trolling, and it probably should be frowned upon. But I don't think this is the same thing. What nhope did was share information and ask for opinions. It's not the same thing as posting just to start an argument or to try to sell something. And she's a long standing, well respected member of the WD forums so I don't see anything wrong with what she did. I'm a member of many writers' sites myself, and I've never had a problem when I've noticed the same questions being asked on more than one forum. Not everyone belongs to multiple forums, so if nhope hadn't posted that in both places, some of us would have missed out. I enjoyed the article she linked to. I'm glad she posted here.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:49 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:32 am

Personally, I don't get the objection to posting on multiple sites. As mentioned, not everyone belongs to every site - I didn't even know what "CC" was. While sites may have some of the same members, they also have people who don't belong to the same sites. So if one should only post to one site, non-members of that site miss the info, and the poster doesn't get their perspective. I see the same posts on several sites I belong to - if I respond, it's to the first one I see, and only respond on the other sites to other responses.

Totally different from multi-posting within a site, IMO. And spam is spam, trolling is trolling - has nothing to do with posting legitimate topics on several sites.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:36 am

I have no problem at all with posting to multiple sites, as long as the poster actively participate sin those sites. There is no other way to guarantee than many will see it unless you do post on each site where you're an active participant.

Posting in more than one place on a single forum, however, is another matter, and shouldn't be allowed.

As for this particular piece, I stopped reading with the first MF word. To me, that isn't funny, and I want no part of it.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:03 pm

it's not generally 'frowned upon' to post on more than one site, rob... to say so is nonsensical to me, no offense intended...

many folks who belong to more than one writing site [including myself, as i post daily on 3 sites] will occasionally post the same info/work/whatever on each of the various sites, since the membership of any two will not be even close to the same...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Mazy
Private First Class

Postby Mazy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:57 pm

[quote="nhope"]Check this out and tell me what you think.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-tru ... er-person/[/quote]

I didn't get past the opening sentence. That was an unexpected assult!
[color=#4000FF]“Four thousand volumes of metaphysics
will not teach us what the soul is.” Voltaire
[/color

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Maia, that's not just my claim. Like I said, the wording at the Wikipedia link is used by colleges, by forum hosting sites, and several large information providers.

I'm not saying you must do this or that everyone opposes multi-posting. But some fairly major players who've been doing this, they *do* frown upon it. For even more reasons than I gave. Think sock-puppets for an additional example.

If WD accepts, permits, or even encourages it, that is WD's call. Not mine. I'm not saying that it must or even should be that way.

But at many locations and over the course of the birth and growth of the Internet, that is how it generally is.

I did some checking on Usenet etiquette, which is the source of this attitude towards multiposting. If you "own" it, admit up front that you've posted to multiple locations, that's basically an occasion when it's accepted, not considered rude.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:36 pm

I think you're misinterpreting the rule.

Opening multiple threads within a site to say the same thing or ask the same question is frowned upon, yes. But starting a thread on Writers Digest AND Absolute Write AND Critique Circle to let your writer buddies know that a top agent has just opened to submissions or that Neil Gaiman is giving away free books, is NOT frowned upon. That's what these sites are for. Sharing information. Discussing the business of writing. Helping each other out. You honestly believe moderators are concerned with what you post on other sites? If you don't want to comment on a thread, don't comment on it. Nobody is obligated to comment on a thread, ever. And personally, I think if we "frown upon" everyone who posts the same question on this site that they've posted on other sites we just as well shut this one down because this is not even close to the most popular writers' forum on the internet, and if you make people choose they'll probably abandon us. We only have about a dozen regular members to start with, how helpful can it be to our membership if we make people feel unwelcome? Or if we discourage them from posting?

And as for this being how it "generally is", I haven't seen that attitude on any of the forums I visit. Sometimes someone will mention having seen a question asked on another site, but nobody gets grumpy about it. :roll:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:53 pm

I think my problem with the Wiki article (other than it being a Wiki article) is that even Wiki has problems with it ("the article does not meet standards of objectivity and encyclopaedic style"). And Usenet? Isn't that about like AOL nowadays - like 'oh yeah, I've heard of that!' ? Perhaps the cross-posting thing was of importance when everyone was connected via some "we're all you got" type system, but there is no way that all or even most people are going to be on the same sites, seeing the same posting with the way the internet is now. This isn't spamming, where someone is joining groups willy-nilly to send out advertisements disguised as acceptable posts. The only time I see anything about cross-posting is when someone has a couple of blogs and will occasionally post the same thing on them; they're just letting readers know. But one person's 'set' of blogs is hardly the same thing as innumerable international and independent forums where concurrent membership is practically pure chance.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!