MY COUNTRY TIS OF THEE

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

MY COUNTRY TIS OF THEE

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 am

MY COUNTRY, TIS OF THEE

”For I find myself with tall mountains to climb, rough roads to trod, deep valleys to forge, and vast oceans to bridge.”

Doesn’t this quote sound like our country in its beginning as well as in today‘s world? How many times in the past has the United States of America been faced with what seemed insurmountable challenges? Yet in each set of circumstances, we, as a united people, joined together and conquered them.

Our founding fathers felt so strongly for their right to choose freedom---freedom of religion, freedom to choose their government that they gave all they had. Many of them lost their property and every thing they owned as a result. That is how dearly they felt this new nation should be “united” in its purpose and founded on its belief in God.

I used the above quote from Reverend Robert H. Schuler. I chose it as I thought it so very fitting for our country’s present social and economic position in the world. Think about how many mountains we’ve conquered, valleys we’ve forged and vast oceans we’ve bridged. We did it all as a “united nation.”

Today, we celebrate the founding of a nation. Our nation---the United States of America. Stand tall Americans. Be grateful for our forefathers who had the courage to commit to what they believed to be our inalienable rights.

HAPPY JULY 4. May we as a nation always stand for peace, and “one nation under God, with liberty and justice for all.”
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

rosebud
Major

Re: MY COUNTRY TIS OF THEE

Postby rosebud » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:55 pm

As always you are an inspiration Carol. I hope you enjoy today with some special festivities with your family. Light a sparkler for me and I'll be thinking of you as darkness falls enough for us to enjoy the fireworks together. :D

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks Rosalie. We spent the day with Matt's daughter at her lake home. While others were playing on the beach, I sat in the cool of the porch and watched. It was a perfect Wisconsin July 4 day weather-wise with temp at 78 and no humidity. Summer at its best. The fireworks were fantastic and brought memories of many other happy 4ths. Hope your day was a super one.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:56 pm

My day was restful after I balanced the checkbook and considered the bills to be paid. Then I read for the rest of the day. I'm trying to keep up with the challenge of reading 25 books this year. This one is pretty good. It's a Sara Paretsky, V.I. Warshawski novel called Break Down. I read over a third of the book in one sitting.

Tomorrow begins my vacation from work. It's a well deserved, one week paid time off which I very much need. I'm trying to plan out, a little bit, what I'll do beside clean, nurse plants and read. Working on my WIP is definitely on the agenda.

And, of course, I'll be lurking around here. Glad to know you had such a grand 4th of July with your family.

Return to Take it Outside!