[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Are we heading for Utopia or Dystopia? : Take it Outside! • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Are we heading for Utopia or Dystopia?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
rosebud
Major

Re: Are we heading for Utopia or Dystopia?

Postby rosebud » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Always the poet Jaus. Your thoughts are profound. I like that about you. :D

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:27 am

Not only stories, but poetry! You certainly caught the spirit of utopia and dystopia. Nicely done.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:53 am

Clever, I enjoyed it as well. The way you wove the words into it, it's like a tapestry. Great poem, Jaus. 8-)

I think the only reason there's so much dystopian novels is because it's the state of mind of the current majority. Which makes it easy to read and publish cause characters and situations are easy to identify with. U'd think readers would want to be reading more about utopian societies. :lol:

But I think why this type of fiction is popular now is that we enjoy and like to see the struggling MC overcome the opposition and give a little hope to the world they are currently living in. (Unless there is no happy ending then it's probably downright depressing) Like a certain wizard said- All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

Ps: I have to admit I'm sucker for the underdog.

G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Postby G-Girl2 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:41 pm

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:56 am

tne, rosebud, carol and nhope...it was nothing...you'll flatter me, i'm just a 23 year old guy with silky hair, triangular face, lean body and witty humor. that's all ladies, i aint so cool.
Have a nice day

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:05 am

but many times i wish i hadnt gone through the challenges. it would be so much easier if someone was there to guide us before we goof up or to protect us. when we see others act immaturely at times and whine over immature problems we do feel, 'what a whiner, crying over a small challenge.'

but there's always someone who's got a bigger challenge than us, that one who looks at us and says, 'grow up dude.'

i wouldnt want to go through any of the challenges in life. life would be easier if it were a bed of cotton, soft cotton. i dont want a tight rope, if i fall down, the wind might carry me to seven seas, to unknown places and bash me against the rocky walls of the mountains. i may be thrown in the cold waters of the pacific, who knows what white hammer sharks lurk inside. they might be circling the waters, looking at each other and spreading their smiles. what piranhas might be waiting to pierce their teeth into my flesh. they might be holding forks and knives in their fins.

which is why, it would be better if life were a bed of cotton, curly soft cloud shaped cotton
Have a nice day

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:49 am

haha, loved the poem Jaus. Especially this part:

She made me extend my hand ( I SO remember getting the belt and feeling the agony.)
And bam, bam, bam
I cried in agony
And vowed her a malady
And then next week
She entered the class
I threw her a lizard
And cockroaches, snakes and birds

She jumped up the ceiling
Her spine was chilling
I was glad and hero and proud with face grinning

Keene went home and yelled at her sons
So I had utopia but they had dystopia
And we still don’t know
Where is Victoria

It made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the chuckles, and well done!
Elizabeth :D

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:16 pm

I always liked the quote by Captain Kirk when Spock's brother wanted to release him from his pain. Kirk responded, "I don't want to get rid of my pain. My pain is what makes me who I am. I don't want to think about whether I should have turn left rather than right. I need my pain. It makes me who I am." I think I got that mostly right. Correct me if I'm wrong fellow Trekkies.

At any rate the philosophy is correct in my opinion. Our past experiences make us who we are and each day we get to choose how we take the next step. It's what makes us good writers. A life without pain cannot fully enjoy the high points in life. jmo. It give us the ability to add flavor to our characters.

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:53 pm

Previous

Return to Take it Outside!