[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Are we heading for Utopia or Dystopia? : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Are we heading for Utopia or Dystopia?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Are we heading for Utopia or Dystopia?

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed May 29, 2013 9:48 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 am

[imge=3509-3]

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:42 pm

nope. glass half full. Definitely half full.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu May 30, 2013 7:12 am

Forgetting party politics for a moment, just pure ideology, this is why I call myself a conservative. I don't hate government (although I share Thomas Paine's disdain for it). But government isn't the answer. We are.

And no, government is not us, and we are not government. The reason I say that is that government is monolithic. That's not good or bad.

It's just that the people, we're capable of going in so many directions at once. That can be short attention span, but it's also a kind of brainstorming and innovation.

I don't want to get into a whole political debate. But I want to illustrate sort of the foundation for why I believe that we are fully capable of overcoming the challenges we face.

But, you know, without shadows, how do you know light? Likewise, if it's all light, we're going to notice where the light is less.

Utopia is an apt term. It doesn't exist. It can't. But that doesn't mean that we can't or shouldn't strive for it.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu May 30, 2013 9:39 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 pm

This topic is headed away from writing, so it's time to move it into the appropriate forum.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

deloughy
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby deloughy » Thu May 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Based on where we are at right now in time, we have no way to head toward anything but dystopia. People have become arrogant, they forget science still holds all the cards. Science is fourteen billion years in the making, as opposed to humans' 160,000. We can cure illnesses all we want, science will keep throwing them at us. We have ways of keeping people alive when they shouldn't be. Medical science has made fantastic breakthroughs. But this is all meaningless in the eyes of science. Science will not allow us to continue living the way we live now. For the first time in history, the life expectancy of the younger generation is lower than the life expectancy of older people. Changes in diet, sedentism, hormones, pesticides and chemicals in our food and water, toxins in our air, and many other poisons factor in here. As an EMT, I cannot tell you how many young people I picked up that had diabetes and hypertension before they were even eighteen. People are obese. Has anyone seen Wall-E? The way the human race is portrayed in that movie is very accurate. Furthermore, regarding our earth sustaining us, this is something I learned in my college science classes (last year - so the info isn't outdated): It's true that our planet cannot sustain us much longer, given our growth rate. We are reproducing at a rate faster than we can produce food. Life eats life. People are the equivalent of the foods they eat, literally; consider what a person consumes and then eliminate the food from the earth, since it's now part of a human. The only way for that food to come back is if the person dies and goes back into the soil. Since we are prolonging life (on a very large scale), people aren't dying fast enough to compensate for what they're eating. There are people on HIV medication, cancer medication, all sorts of medicines that keep you alive longer than you should be. I'm not saying we should take these medicines away, I'm only using it to back up my case that the earth cannot sustain us at this rate.

Several years ago I read a medical article regarding a cure for AIDS discovered in Germany. I can't get into details here without describing the entire process, but for brevity's sake, it works. It works as long as you aren't already immunocompromised due to other illnesses, such as cancer, Kaposi Sarcoma, etc. Everyone cries, "Praise God, there's a cure!" But something worse will come in time. Science won't allow cures for too long, it knows how to control and balance itself and will fight back. So when AIDS is cured, it's only a matter of time before a worse disease comes out. Look at drug-resistant bacteria. Each time you take an antibiotic, it kills all the weaker bacteria first. What's left is the stronger bacteria. That bacteria reproduces. And it continues until no antibiotic works at all. Viruses also mutate. This is science's way of saying, "Ha, try and catch me!" We can't. We can make vaccines all we want but these things will keep coming. We are long overdue for a plague. People joke about the zombie apocalypse but no one ever thinks about how realistic it is. Of course we wouldn't be walking corpses, but the infected in 28 Days Later are pretty accurate in regards to incubation period and contamination rate (the symptoms can be anything). Contagion and Outbreak are good examples of something we'll probably see soon; I'd expect to see it in my lifetime.

Aside from viruses, 20% of men are infertile. This is the highest it's ever been. While 70% of these cases can be treated, I go back to my original argument that even though we'll find ways to outsmart science, and will think that we have prevailed, science will come back to bite us in the ass. It doesn't matter what advancements we make, science is always waiting in the shadows, one step ahead, planning its next move.

My information comes from being a science/pre-med student the past three years, doctors and nurses in the family, and from reading science and medical articles, journals, and textbooks the past 10+ years (all I used to read was non-fiction).

Here are some helpful videos and articles I've read over the years, in case anyone is interested (I highly, HIGHLY recommend the first link):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BbkQiQyaYc

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ction.html

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/veg ... 26669.html

http://www.explainingthefuture.com/pandemic.html (Remember, it's not whether or not a virus will mutate, but when.)

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9639C8B63

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Lif ... 43754.html (I liked this article better, even though it's for Australia.)

And, just for kicks:

http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies.htm :)
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri May 31, 2013 9:14 am

dloughy, I think you mean "nature" not "science" since science is a human endeavour and represents our attempts to understand nature and the natural laws that govern our existence.

In terms of writing about utopian vs. dystopian societies or worlds... who is arrogant enough to think they have the answer to all of our ills, and could actually design a "perfect society?" I try to stay far, far away from anyone that delusional.

deloughy
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby deloughy » Fri May 31, 2013 11:08 am

What we do in life echoes in eternity.

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!