[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Men crying : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Men crying

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Men crying

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Crap....I read the first sentence in your spoil alert. I'm still three episodes behind.

Boogers on a stick. :evil:

deloughy
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby deloughy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

I wouldn't call myself cold so much as I just don't react to things the way most people react. I didn't cry when my dog died but my 20-year old brother cried his eyes out. I didn't cry when my cat died way too soon. I don't cry at funerals and I don't cry pretty much any other time. But I must say, if one of my guy friends started crying when Beyonce's "To the Left" came on the radio, I think I'd jump out of the car. Come to think of it, I wouldn't even get in the car with them if they were listening to that. :lol:

I don't know if I'd agree that would be the most boring moment. I think it's rational for anyone to react that way given the situation. She wasn't dying, it's not like he knew ahead of time. She was murdered, used as leverage to bring my hero to his weakest moment. I don't think breaking down on the battlefield would be as realistic given the adrenaline running, the number of distractions and having to look over your back for any sort of monster that may be ready to kill you.

Oh, and sorry, Terry. If it makes you feel any better, everyone posted about it on Facebook right after the episode was over. I don't get to watch the episodes until the day after they air because I don't have cable, so it was spoiled for me and no one even bothered to put "SPOILER ALERT" in their posts. Buncha jerks, I swear. This is why I don't go on Facebook anymore.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

bjamison71
Private E-2

Postby bjamison71 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm not exactly comfortable around people who cry, but I can deal if it's for a good reason. I'd be okay with a man crying over something really tragic, as long as he's somewhat 'reserved' about it-- if he's over the age of say... six or seven, he's too old for the 'ugly cry'.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm a mid-westerner, I carry a gun, I have sniper training, and I've studied martial arts all my life. I cry when something makes me sad. I think the old "Real men don't cry" is damaging and silly. REAL men do whatever they want, which includes crying. Real men also comfort others who are sad enough to cry.

deloughy
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby deloughy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Thank you. I want my character to mourn the loss of his lover, but I wanted to know if most people had an aversion to crying. The only reason I'm even asking is because Daryl seemed like the most respected, bad ass character from The Walking Dead and the second he mourns his brother - something I found very rational - everyone started calling him a little b*tch. I even woke up this morning to a new video by a popular person on YouTube doing a reenactment of Daryl and making fun of him, which annoyed me a lot. I don't like crying, but I can't stand when it isn't justified. "Look, you guys were only together for like what, two weeks?" I'd say if I got caught face to face. "Well, how long did you expect a feeder fish to live?" I think I agree, the whole "Real men don't cry" thing is taken to the extreme. I'd bet my life that most of these fun pokers would react the same way if their brother died. Buncha hypocrites, in my opinion. Ugh, I just wanna punch people sometimes!

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really didn't expect anyone to respond to this but I am glad I got so many honest responses.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 am

I believe there are many level of crying or showing emotion. If I stubbed my foot and starting bawling I would expect to be made fun of. If I got my arm stuck in a meat grinder you bet I'll cry and scream. I've seen some really good tear jerk movies and have had a few eye-watery moments, but the tears weren't flowing down my cheeks in search of a tissue. I think that would be too much. The only time in my adulthood that I actually cried uncontrollably was the moment when I realized my mother would never wake up again. She died from cancer at 50 years old when I was 22. I was talking to her and she was slowly nodding off. I went and sat down, no one else was in the room, and it just hit me. I tried to stop, but couldn't. I could barely breathe. When my dad walk in he was trying to introduce me to a really hot nurse and I still couldn't stop. :P

I never did see that nurse again.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 am

It also depends when you've stubbed your foot. If you're an athlete and stubbed your foot before the Olympics you would be disappointed. Suppose it's your wedding and you're waiting for your woman to walk down the aisle and that's when her bridesmain steps on the bride's veil. She slips and falls on the cake, it gets smashed on her face. She cries and you yell, "Grow up you stupid woman." She cancels the wedding and you know you're going to remain a virgin for the rest of your life. I think here is when you would cry.

On a serious note,
You cry in front of someone stronger than you, when you know that someone is there to help you. At least that's how it is for me. The reason others don't cry, is because they're just more stronger. Remember, those who don't cry are also the same people who don't laugh openly at any joke.
Have a nice day

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:38 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:14 am

I cry out of guilt. Whenever I've done something wrong, I realize it, i end up in tears. Apart from that, nothing much.
Have a nice day

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:00 pm

I can't control when I cry. I don't cry often but when there's a need, it just happens. :cry:

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!