[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Hope yet for a literary future. : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Hope yet for a literary future.

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Hope yet for a literary future.

Postby Jowen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:06 pm

A couple of weeks ago I was interviewed, as an elder, for a Power Point presentation. I answered questions about my life, my experiences and preferences, and provided family photographs. Yesterday, I saw the almost professional level presentation and was most impressed -- not only with the accuracy of my recorded history and photos selected, but with animated pop-ups and relevant photos of past events. The author/presenter was my grandson, Alec, who is in grade three, and just turned nine on February 22nd.

Other kids in his class gave similar presentations, handling the daunting task of making the presentation and speaking before an audience of students, teachers and adults, with quiet confidence (although one girl burst into tears afterwards).

Later, when waiting for our food to be served at a celebratory dinner, Alec was busy drawing and writing on his paper placemat. "This could be published." he said, waving the placemat. Doubting he knew what being published meant, I asked where it might be published, "Right here," he said, "it could be published on the restaurant's kids placemats." He was right.

Alec took me a tour of his school. Yes, they have computers galore, but I was impressed with the quality of the science projects and artwork too. It was all so encouraging when we think the kids of today will know nothing but text-speak. There is much hope for a literary future. :D
Last edited by Jowen on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[imge=3509-3]

Laycrew
Major

Re: Hope yet for a literary future.

Postby Laycrew » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:40 pm

It is AMAZING what kids can learn in school with the right tools. What a fun project for you share with your grandson.

My youngest daughter is 11 and loves computers. She actually has been on the computer at a really young age to help a vision problem. My youngest daughter's Christmas lists have been powerpoint presentations complete with animations since she was in second grade. She also had a teacher that really taught her a lot about technology in the two years my daughter was in her class. One of her projects was creating a book trailer for a book report and they filmed live action clips of their classmates. Then when she was in third grade she showed her jr high sister how to make an edited video for an assignment. Needless to say I am a little frustrated my older daughters haven't been taught the same skills.

When I sat in my youngest's class one day last year, I was so impressed with the story writing skills my daughter was learning. They were writing mysteries and they all had to write stories in class and share what they wrote in the small amount of time she gave them write. She was teaching high level writing skills to the 3rd and 4th grade combo class. Listening to her teach and seeing my daughter's advanced technology skills redeemed some of my frustration with the teacher for the overload of homework my daughter had for the two years she had her.

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Wow. Your youngest daughter has amazing computer skills. Even with her vision problem (which I hope has been corrected), it should stand her in good stead when she's looking for a job down the road.

My grandson is in a grade 3-4 split, and appears focused this year. All due to his teacher, I think. Yes, she pushes the kids, makes them work hard, but they seem to like her.
[imge=3509-3]

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:22 am

My youngest has some focus issues. But she doesn't suffer academically, thank goodness. My second really struggled.

Hannah has a piece of iris in her pupil and it causes amblyopia(it is weaker than the other eye so the good eye compensates). We had to eye patch her good eye and eye drop to dilate it for years. Computer games and Nintendo Gameboy were the best things for therapy for her eye. She has progressed well. She went from 20/40 with glasses to 20/25 with glasses this last visit. The piece of iris will always be there. It doesn't seem to hinder her vision that much anymore. She's pretty good at basketball without her glasses

My son-in-law writes computer programs. We really want him to work with her. He graduated in December and said most of his computer science classes in college were years behind. He told us most of what he has learned is self-taught.

It sounds like your grandson is having a successful year. Really structured teachers are great and it sounds like she is teaching them some great skills. That powerpoint presentation your grandson did sounds impressive. What a great bonding experience for him.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 pm

One nice thing about our school system is that the school provides each child with a laptop, and provides full instruction for its use.

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:49 pm

By the time my boys reached high school they were required to learn basic computer skills which they had learned in late elementary/early middle school years. It was a real waste of time.

Similarly, when they reached kindergarden, they already knew how to read and do basic math thanks to a good pre school. However, that time the teacher was willing to adjust her curriculum to accommodate the children's advanced skills.

Laycrew - I have no doubt that your youngest will overcome her visual problems. Children are adaptable. My oldest has a great memory, despite his learning disability.

Jowen - Your grandson sounds like a real treasure and future writer. I want an autographed copy of his first menu. People do actually collect those.

James - Only some of our schools provide laptops. Mostly they can only use them at school.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:46 pm

We had a bunch of drama here over laptops. In November 3 education props were voted down. One was over providing laptops to all the kids and requiring all kids to take 3 online classes in order to graduate. As much as I support technology and know how important it is, as a parent I have mixed feelings about the schools giving my kids laptops. My kids have taken online classes as well. You would think I would support it. There were a lot of other messy politics involved though that was not in the best interest of the kids.

Thanks Rosebud. We have worked pretty hard to get her where she is now. :D

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:42 pm

[imge=3509-3]

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks Jowen, I look forward to seeing his work. :D

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Jowen, what a little keeper you have. :D Wish I could meet him.

Next

Return to Take it Outside!