[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
OH SO SAD : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

OH SO SAD

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

OH SO SAD

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:32 am

The other night I heard a terrible ruckus in the woods and wondered what that was all about.

Breakfast on the porch is a delight before the morning heat sets in. This morning, as I sat looking out onto the lawn to the lake, a mama deer came out of the side woods and was not followed by her baby. She stood for awhile and looked up at me as if to say, "it's gone, that little one is gone." She didn't touch the food just lowered her ears and bowed her head then walked slowly down the driveway. I've never seen anything so pitiful and sad. It made me realize, as a tear fell into my coffee cup, even the woodland creatures have times of sorrow.

That's my sad story for the day. Then just as I was about to go inside, out of the side woods came another mama deer with her twins. How comedic were they, running and chasing each other the length of the lawn to the lake and back. I went from sadness to utter delight watching those babies scamper around, but I will never, ever forget the mama deer and her bewildered look of disbelief at her terrible loss.

Hope you have a nice day, it's going to get very hot here, so close the blinds to the porch and turn on the A/C.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Re: OH SO SAD

Postby G-Girl2 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:50 am

We have deer, elk, moose, bunnies, and so many other critters that call our property home, and we have never lost the wonder that a visit brings (although I'd be willing to forego the bear visits ;+} ). One mama deer started hiding her baby in the cedars right behind our dog's fence. She knew he'd warn her if anything came around. Soon we had a mama moose leaving her baby as well.

It's supposed to stop raining here by tomorrow; I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime I envy you your AC weather.

Lilly Starshine
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Lilly Starshine » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:30 pm

I love seeing deer out in the woods behind my house. One year my very small rat terrier found a fawn and chased into the yard. My silly little dog cornered it against the fence and the poor little thing was just terrified. I picked up a rock and pitched it at my dog, not enough to hurt him, just enough to distract him. It worked and the tiny fawn took off across the yard and into the field across the road. At this point I see the mama doe paceing in the field, not quite sure what to do about her little one. My dumb dog chaced the baby into the field and was nearly got trampled by a very angry mother doe. I didn't blame her a bit and told my dog he deserved what he got. He limped around for a day or two but was all right.
Has anyone else had a problem with deer in the road? They are thick around here around sunset. I've been lucky and have not hit one yet. Bambi is real perdy until he's stuck in the grill of your pickup.

Lilly Starshine
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Lilly Starshine » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:34 pm

Wow Butchy....That is super sad. At least you have natural preditors that thin out the deer population. Around here in Oklahoma we have very few cougers, and very few bears. I have never heard of any wolves around here. The deer are so thick here that they actually starve to death before they are killed by anything. I wish the FDA could find a way to control wild population so that deer meat could be packaged and sold in grocery stores. I love vinison. Last year at a high school football game someone was selling deer chilli at the concession stand. Soooo good. I have heard that the Oklahoma game rangers are supposed to be giving more hunting licences this year. I had a deer tear up the front of my minivan, not because I hit it, because it would not move out of the road and I bumped it with the front of my van. Its antlers got caught in my grill, it got stuck and panicked. I had to replace a headlight. Around here coyote's and barn owls are the biggest threat to pets. You would not beleive how big a barn owl can get. They are huge.

KaLEl00
Private E-1

Postby KaLEl00 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:44 am

Ha...I did mis-spell, 'miss-spellings'. That is funny to me. Golly Gosh BW, Arr yuw the gramar polese or sumting. Yuw tink yuw can spel beter dan me or sumting?.... Nah, I'm just rippin' on ya, dude. I like you, and I never take myself too seriously. (really, is there a spell checker on these forum post thingies?)
If you are looking for fast success in then join today to find resources and pass certifications on first try. A person can pick selftestengine for its easiness.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:33 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:04 pm

We have wildlife predators, and a lot of hunters, where i live, but the deer population is still growing so fast they'll face starvation soon, unless the population gets some serious thinning soon. We have something like fifty times as many deer as were here when Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

We've had an equal increase in the number of coyotes, and they're not only a nuisance, but are killing pets, and even livestock. They're interbreeding with dogs, and we've had several reports of kids being attacked, though so far none have been seriously harmed. We've even caught cougars on trail cams twice, many miles apart, and we haven't had cougars here in a hundred years. But the deer keep right on multiplying.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:40 am

Who dragged this piece up from the deep woods of northern Wisconsin? This was posted in July 2012!!! That's going back a 'fir' piece to be posted again. :roll:

However, I have hit a deer once and my husband hit one once. I hit a baby, my husband hit a big one that I thought was going to go through the windshield,, but it bounced off and somehow banged in the front and side of the car. Thank goodness for auto insurance. The state of Wisconsin watches the deer population very closely and if like this past season it is overcrowded, they reopen it to decrease the population. The hunters sure liked that. I have heard that the wolf population in Wisconsin is growing, so they are also monitoring that very closely.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

serrah101
Private E-1

Postby serrah101 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:23 pm

You hardly ever see deer in these woods. This time of year, you hear the echos of gunshots, bulls-eye. It's actually unfair. They'll never trust enough to come out. But they are some beautiful creatures.

Return to Take it Outside!