[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
is this a good deal on a computer? : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

is this a good deal on a computer?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: is this a good deal on a computer?

Postby abqwriter » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:17 pm

We used to buy Gateway but haven't the last few times because of the lousy service and unwillingness to honor warranties without a nasty fight with some guy in India who pretends not to speak English when convenient.  They really do have lousy customer service compared to Dell.  Dell walked me through several issues on a computer that was technically no longer in warranty.

My husband's opinion is that the HP is a decent computer unless you want fast, high graphics - and then Dell has better graphics cards on some of their models.  He's waiting for the new processor to come out before we buy my next one...

I'm envious - have fun with it!  :)

kingac
Major

Postby kingac » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:48 pm

I think it depends on where you get your Gateway from... my dad bought the one I'm using at Circuit City I think.. and I've actually had amazing customer service with them...  and all English speaking people, and willing to walk you through anything...

-John

Pendragon
Major

Postby Pendragon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:28 pm

Karen you've gotten good advice, still I'm nibby at times. So here's my two and 1/2 cents worth.

I used to work for both Officemax and Staples. While computers have literally grown in steroidal spurts compared to when I was selling them, the experience leaves me with enough of a knowledge base to muddle through

Both are good deals, I personally would lean towards the HP. Just personal experience. Gateway's main detraction is support. When you call for support your less likely to talk to someone who actually knows anything than you are someone who has learned to read a script rather well. (yes I know HP does the same thing, however you are more likely to find a reasonable computer geek locally that would help with the HP than the other).

Jmar is right PC's innards are all pretty similiar. HP and Dell are the brands I trust the most. I don't believe in the extended warranties though, like I said, I was forced to sell those and I have my reasons not to believe in them. We'll just leave it at that.

Still the systems you're looking at should do everything you need and more. So I think you're on the right track, in the end go with your gut. Speaking as an officially "Morbidly" obese man, I've really don't have a choice, my gut enters the room two minutes before I do.

pharma
Sergeant

Postby pharma » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:03 am

Hey Karen,

I've been building and repairing computers for years and here is my buying guide.

CPU- This bad boy does all the work, so the faster you can afford, the better. Intel are current flavour of the month. look for something with a Core 2 duo processor.

RAM- Think of this as your desktop, the bigger the desktop the more work you can do at the same time. Windows Vista needs at least 2GB to keep everything running nice and smooth.

HDD- This can be likened to the drawers under your desk, the more you have the more you can store.

Graphics- Unless you want to play Call of Duty 4 or Crysis, inbuilt graphics are more than adequate. Look for something from nVidia. One thing to remember, inbuilt graphics solutions will use some of your RAM.

One last thing to bear in mind with computers; the bigger the number the better.

Hope this helps

Pharma 

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:40 pm

You all have no idea how much you helped in my decision.

I purchased the HP package with an upgrade of the monitor and printer/scanner/copier.

The only problem I'm having now is the router for internet connection.

My hubby's computer has the line 'in' for internet, I have a wireless router for mine...it worked fine with my old dinosaur of a system, but I can't get the iternet working on the new setup.

Time to call in the computer geeks to help....

Karen

Plabius
Captain

Postby Plabius » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:00 am

Karen,

For your setup, you're going to need a wireless NIC (Network Interface Card).  Such a card gets plugged into the motherboard (largest printed circuit board) in your computer.  There is a short antenna on one side of the card that will stick out the back of the computer.  The antenna will catch the signal broadcast by the wireless router.

Here's a link to a picture of one:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapter ... PN311.aspx

There are also NICs that have the antenna encased in plastic.  Here's a picture:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapter ... pters.aspx

Good luck, and Happy New Year.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: is this a good deal on a computer?

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:21 am

Locking this 7 year old topic. Don't know if the last post is a future spammer.

pls
Site Admin

Re: is this a good deal on a computer?

Postby pls » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Previous

Return to Take it Outside!