is this a good deal on a computer?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:42 am

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:42 am

I'm shopping for a new computer and found this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 0800050021

Anyone with computer know-how...I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

Karen

angeleyes
Lieutenant

RE: is this a good deal on a computer?

Postby angeleyes » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:52 pm

It is an okay deal but I wouldn't buy a gateway if I were you.  If anything goes wrong with it they are hard to fix.  My father in law fixes computers and he says that when a gateway crashes it is pretty much impossible to fix.

Dell's are a good brand and reasonably priced. HP's and IBM's are good too but a little more spendy.  Go to their website and see what they have.  When you buy from a store like Best buy they usually mark it up so they make money off of them. 

Hope this helps 

oh ya, a lot of company's have a discount program with Dell.  Check into that as well.  I found a decent desktop complete with windows vista, printer and 17 in lcd screen for under 600 dollars at Dell.com

vade mecum
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby vade mecum » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:53 pm

Hi, Karen. I'm no expert, but that computer offers a lot of good features for the price. My husband looked at that one just before Christmas, and said it is a reasonable price. It is faster and has more memory than any computer we had before, and we had no problems with that kind of graphics card. He said the multimedia features are really nice, and the monitor could even be used as a tv. We haven't had a Gateway, so I can't comment on their quality, but the Intel processor is a good one, and with 2GB the Vista should run fine.

He ended up buying me a laptop, and it has the same processor as the one you are looking at. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have any word processor included, so I haven't used it except to look at a few websites. It seems powerful and the pages load really fast. We've had high speed internet for years, but my computer was so slow that I never realized how quick other people could surf the web.

Good luck.

Carol

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks for responding.

I did also look at an HP package deal and it seems to offer more for the money...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 2300050009

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:49 pm

My two cents, well maybe a dime's worth: Basically, all intel PCs work the same, regardless of the manufacturer. The same is true if the processor is an AMD chip. The old six of one, half dozen of the other cliché. Let's face it, whether your Gateway, HP, Dell etc. you're buying your interiors from good ol' Joe's in Taiwan. (or Singapore or Malaysia or ...) They buy them by the thousands.

To me, the main difference is how they interconnect everything/how difficult do they make it for you to modify their basic system.

If you are strictly a user, taking it out of the box and plugging it in, I don't think there is enough difference between the brands to matter. For this type of person, it is more important how the exterior is laid out. Do you like the keyboard? Is the monitor easy to see? These are the important questions. To answer them - go to Circuit City or Best Buy and play around with the models.

If you're a tinkerer like me, and are always taking them apart and putting them back together, then the brands have more of an impact. I've found Gateways to be very proprietary. Generic boards don't always work well. Dell is pretty universal, but often has tight quarters under the hood. HP is popular enough that they've received a lot of exposure and seem to handle generic components well.

That all said, go to the store and look at "open box" deals. This is the time of year when you can really make a deal. They set up all the display units and now are selling them at deep discounts. I mean deep.
The downside: no box, no books...
The upside: People typing on keyboards do not hurt a computer. The store will still make sure it is a running machine when you leave. In fact for I think, $95.00 they even do their normal post sale setup. The best part is you really can knock 8-9 hundred dollars off a machine.

Caveat: I would not recommend Sony except to geeks. They're great, but very particular about expansion - even memory.

Hope that helps...

John

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:17 pm

John,

Thanks for the input...I'm not a tinkerer...I don't know much about systems and how the run or operate...I like to have it all set up for me, which is why I was looking for the package deal.

I only use my system for internet, email, my writing (such as msWord or the like), I like a good graphics program so I can create cards and crafts with my kids.  As far as media type applications...I'm not sure what I'd use them for...I don't download from iTunes or play a lot of game programs that need more than ... well I'm not sure.

I just got some PC games...from the Adventure Company and they recommend (256 MB of RAM - what ever that means?)

I just want a faster processer, I want to multitask between internet and what is on my hard drive. 

I'm simple when it comes to what computers can do.

I have to say, I liked the package deal with HP so far.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:36 pm

Yes, in your particular scenario, the HP is probably an excellent choice. I bought my wife one for the same reason. She simply needed reliability and an increase in speed/performance. No bells, no whistles, etc. I think we paid $800 for the package last September, and that was with a 19 inch flat screen monitor. Believe it or not, I found it at Walmart, it was a discontinued model - still boxed up. It ain't the best, but it ain't the worst either and for the ordinary user, it works just swell.

If you get the opportunity, do go plunk the keys and kick the tires. Take your time too. Shuffle the montor around, check the length of the keyboard cables, etc. And make certain of their return policy. Sometimes when you get home after a week, it just doesn't feel right. Nothing wrong with exchanging it - just remove any of your personal data.

Oh yeah, if you have an extra $100.00 buy an external hard drive for back up. It's a great way to save your work and keep it separate. Or if you prefer, one of the 'flash' memory sticks. Then you can carry your stories with you even to a library and download them to make notes, etc.

John

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:48 pm

John,

I believe I get a discount on an external 'zip' drive kind of thingy (boy, I sound like my mother who stores her bread in her microwave) with the HP offer.

I will take your advice as far as kicking the tires...this system is available at our local Best Buy store...I tried looking directly on HP's site but to piece everyting together with the monitor and printer plus was a tough thing to do, maybe I'd save some money, but I clicking, and clicking away and ... sheesh I couldn't put together what BestBuy had to offer for the price.

I want a package deal, that I can pull out of the box, plug it in and have it give me internet, email, and some sort of Microsoft writing application...

I'm a simpleton with this and I do appreciate your advice...

Thanks John.

Plabius
Captain

Postby Plabius » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:52 pm

Hey, Karen.

RAM is an acronym that stands for Random Access Memory.  It is a temporary storage medium that computer uses for data storage while it is powered on.  RAM is accessed in a time frame called a nano second (billionth of a second).  The computer's hard disk (permanent storage) is accessed in milliseconds (thousandths of a second). 

A computer loads programs (like a word processor) and data (like the file that holds your story) into RAM because it can access the RAM much faster than the hard disk.  So, the more RAM that you have, the better the performance.

The HP is the better deal.  It has a larger hard drive (400 GB vs. 320 GB for the Gateway); more and faster RAM (3 GB vs. 2 GB for the Gateway); and a superior CPU (AMD vs. Intel for the Gateway).  The HP monitor is 2 inches smaller than the Gateway and of slightly lesser quality (longer response time and smaller viewing angle than the Gateway).  The HP video card (which does the video graphics processing), although made by the same company (NVIDIA), is slightly inferior.   HP service and support is superior to Gateway.

If you don't have the money for a Dell, and if you're not going to play Halo 3 or some other serious PC games, then the HP is the way to go.

Next

Return to Take it Outside!