[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Random name generators : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Random name generators

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
filkata
Private E-1

Random name generators

Postby filkata » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:28 am

Do you use random name generators? In what cases? What features make a useful one? What features you wish they had?
Last edited by filkata on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Random name generators

Postby ostarella » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:48 am

I have tried them, but my experience has been that, unless you're going for unpronounceable names for a fantasy story, they're not worth much. If I'm' actually stuck for a name, I just open the phone book and randomly stick my finger on some page. Once for first name, once for second name. A book of baby names also works for first names, and the yellow pages for surnames.
"The trick of the fiction writer is the beautiful lie..." Thomas Fox Averill

aka shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://shadowwalker.info/home.html

filkata
Private E-1

Postby filkata » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:27 am

Yes, I agree they are useful only when you are looking for fantasy names.
I am working on a random name generator of my own . I tried to keep the names pronouncible and add helpful options like easy copying but I would like some feedback from prople that use such tools.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 am

I don't really believe in name generators. All the names I've generated have FELT generated. I will use an online anagram generator for some of the characteristics I want my character to have, and see if a "namelike" option comes up.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

FindingMargaritaville
Private E-1

Postby FindingMargaritaville » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 pm

I'm only 250 words into what might, or more likely might not, become a book of short stories. I enjoy character-making, probably to the detriment of the plot or anything else. So, while a name generator for me is an intriguing idea, I agree with the previous pst that it will feel generated. So I enjoy coming up with names.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:45 pm

[quote="filkata"]Do you use random name generators? In what cases? What features make a useful one? What features you wish they had?[/quote]
=====

the govt prints lists of names by popularity
both first and last names

you can find other lists of names to use as a guide

Return to Take it Outside!