[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Should the UN say that all people are the universe? : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Should the UN say that all people are the universe?

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Should the UN say that all people are the universe?

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:32 am

I must be losing it. This thread makes no sense to me at all.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:42 pm

It's a headscratcher, all right. Might make more sense after a certain number of pints, methinks. :P

At any rate, oddly enough I was reminded of this thread when one of my favourite songs popped up on my playlist today, so I thought I'd share this video. There's a funny story behind it - bear with me, it is relevant to this topic and to writing, in a way.

In the game Minecraft, although it's mostly a game you can play without any specific goals, there is an "end" as such that players can reach where you defeat a dragon and so on. Anyway once you've done that and the credits roll, a lengthy poem called "The End" appears (the developer actually commissioned a professional writer to write one) and scrolls on the screen. It's quite good, and there's lots of philosophical musing on our relationship with the universe and so on. Anyway, someone who is presumably a big fan of Minecraft later took various extracts and snippets from that poem and turned them into a song, all of which you can see in the music video which I'm linking to here, which is also quite thoughtful and has a lovely tune and visuals to boot.

"We are the universe; we are everything you think isn't you." Enjoy.

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:32 pm

That was very enjoyable. Thank you for posting the link, cw. My grandchildren used to play Minecraft for hours. (Only after they'd done their homework, mind.) It seemed to be teaching them how to construct parks and buildings. Apparently there was more to the game than I thought.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Thomas6
Private E-2

Postby Thomas6 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Thomas6
Private E-2

Postby Thomas6 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:01 pm

Previous

Return to Take it Outside!