[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Browser being hijacked and redirected on this forum : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Browser being hijacked and redirected on this forum

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Browser being hijacked and redirected on this forum

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Re: Browser being hijacked and redirected on this forum

Postby onceuponwednesday » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:15 pm

If you ever feel like looking under the hood of this forum you'll see how many advertising and hit-counting and head-scratching websites it includes. Scores of them. Some of them, addesktop.com for instance, blocks the forum from displaying for minutes if it's down. Others display dodgy adverts that pop up webpages and hijack browsers.

Writer's Digest should really find a more reputable adservice.

If you want to get rid of them then install an adblocker on your browser.
The Rule of Three

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:16 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:31 am

If you don't already have anti-malware software, it might pay to do a google search for "malwarebytes", go to the site that comes up, and download their free anti-malware program and do a scan and fix. Don't just rely on Microsoft's inbuilt Windows protection alone as it's pretty feeble. You might also consider paying for one of the internet protection suites that also covers virus scanning, firewall, and so on, or at the very least if that's not an option get one of the lesser free ones as being better than nothing. They're all much of a muchness these days - I've been in I.T. for 20+ years so I've seen them all. Currently I use BitDefender as you can buy a 3 year key that covers several PCs pretty cheaply these days off Amazon, and protect your whole family's gear with that - but as I say, all the major brands are pretty much the same nowadays, so go for whichever one suits you. But have SOMETHING, or you're just asking for trouble.

And while I'm on the soapbox, invest in backup protection as well. These days you don't even need to bother with physical media as such - just buy an external hard drive and either use the backup software that comes with it, or hook up to a service such as CrashPlan to schedule regular backups. Last thing anyone wants is to see their hard drive crash with the only copy of their 100K manuscript going down with it. Lastly, in these days of identity theft and online crime, a password manager can also be a valuable investment of time to set up unbreakable, different passwords for every site you use, combined with the ease of use for yourself to have those get automatically populated. I currently use LastPass, and have used 1Password in the past which is also good.

Security, people. Either you pay attention to it, or you've got a ticking bomb on your desk just waiting to go off.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:15 am

That kind of hijacking hasn't happened to me yet. I use Kaspersky for protection after several family members recommended it. Everything I type gets saved on a flash drive, as well as on my hard drive. I have six flash drives at the moment, and use them for different subjects.

Straying off topic a little, yesterday my computer had major updates with the result that I had to search for my favorites. Grrrrr. I wish Microsoft would ask me before they update features, or at least give me the option of canceling those I don't want. It's mighty presumptuous on their part. Whose computer is it anyway?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:32 am

Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:44 am

There's no reason "resetting" your computer should lose files, although I'm not sure what "resetting" means here. Installing adblocker won't change anything except you won't get tons of ads. Installing malware protection won't change anything except getting rid of irritating and often dangerous malware. Ditto virus protection. And if you have an adequate backup system (including whole computer, not just select files), you shouldn't lose anything any time.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:27 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:32 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:33 pm

Return to Take it Outside!