DECEMBER 7 1941

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

DECEMBER 7 1941

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:35 am

It's hard to believe that seventy-four years have gone by since this day, December 7, became a day of infamy. I was nine years old (I'm now 83) and we had gone to visit a cousin as a before Christmas treat. There was no television, but my cousin's parents had a radio. We had just finished eating and Uncle Bill called everyone into the living room to hear President Franklin D. Roosevelt tell us that Pearl Harbor had been bombed and that we were at war with Japan. As days progressed, we were not only at war with Japan, but had also became allies with England, France and Russia to aide in the European war that was raging with Germany.

It was many, many years later, in 1981, Matt gave me a wonderful Christmas present. Airline tickets to Hawaii. One of his friends in Hawaii had a small plane and flew us over Ford Field and looking down we could see the Arizona. Later we took the Navy boat to the actual monument where we gazed at all the names of those who had been killed on that fateful day. A motor trip to the Pacific Theater of War Cemetery lists every soldier who died in the fight for freedom in the Pacific Islands To say the least, it was a very humbling experience to see another cousin's name listed.

It is my hope that you young people will appreciate not only what these brave young men died for, but also all the young men and women who since then gave their life so that we could be free and live the life style we now enjoy. I hope you will take a moment and whisper a prayer of thanks for your freedom.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: DECEMBER 7 1941

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:29 am

I went to Pearl Harbor in 2009 while at a Writers Conference. It's an amazing place. The boat ride to the memorial and passing all of the markers where boats sunk was very surreal. Definitely a place to visit if you can.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Re: DECEMBER 7 1941

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:37 pm

the greatest generation...
Blow up the bridge?!

Return to Take it Outside!