[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Market Research for Bookstore : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Market Research for Bookstore

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Sita87
Private E-1

Market Research for Bookstore

Postby Sita87 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:14 am

Hi all! I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but this was the only place I saw in which this seemed to fit.
I'm conducting market research to find out if opening my own bookstore would be viable in the College Park, MD area. I need more people to take my survey. The survey can be found here at SurveyMonkey.com:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LPNM2MW

Please only take the survey if you live in the Washington, DC or Maryland areas. It is only a few questions and takes less than 5 minutes to complete. Please pass it along when you're done as well! The more people I can get to take it, the better a representative sample it will be!

Thanks so much!

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Market Research for Bookstore

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:23 pm

I don't live in the area, but I have a friend who opened two very successful bookstores. He did a LOT of research first, but in the end, after several failed attempts, he found only two things mattered. . .how far away is the next bookstore similar to the one you plan to open, and what can you offer that they do not.

cstocking001
Private E-1

Postby cstocking001 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:30 pm

"Writing is an accepted form of schizophrenia"

“Literature is a textually transmitted disease, normally contracted in childhood.” — Jane Yolen

Sita87
Private E-1

Postby Sita87 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. I'm in the research phase right now. One advantage I have is that I have lived in this area for years and am very familiar with the people and potential market. With the Borders closing, there will be no bookstores within about 20 miles or so of College Park, so I think that would work in my favor. I'm working on ideas to make the store unique and appealing to a college crowd, since that is the largest market immediately in the area.
Thanks! If you have any more tips for me please let me know! :D
"This above all else: to thyself be true"

cstocking001
Private E-1

Postby cstocking001 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:54 pm

"Writing is an accepted form of schizophrenia"

“Literature is a textually transmitted disease, normally contracted in childhood.” — Jane Yolen

Sita87
Private E-1

Postby Sita87 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Not a bad idea. I could work with the English department and some of the other departments to sell the fiction books they need. Some used to do that with the previous bookstore that was in the area a few years ago. Since I would also be dealing in used books, that could work out well. Thanks!

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:32 pm

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi Sita,

Since Boarders closed we no longer have a bookstore here in Charles County (about 45 minutes from College Park). I can see why you'd want to open one near the college, but we sure could use one down here. Schools still have reading lists, and the kids need some place to buy their books. You'd actually be serving the whole tri-county area. Let me know if you're hiring. ;) :D

Sita87
Private E-1

Postby Sita87 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Haha! It's funny you should mention Charles Co. I'm actually from there, but I went to college at Maryland, so I've lived the last few years in College Park. Don't worry, I'm also considering a bookstore in Waldorf, I think it would probably do well there since with the Borders closing the nearest bookstore would be . . . well, a long ways away! It might even be more cost effective to open in Waldorf, but right now I'm looking at all options before I make a big decision.

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Keep me informed.

Next

Return to Take it Outside!