[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
religion -- enter at your own risk : Take it Outside! • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

religion -- enter at your own risk

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
supernerd
Captain

RE: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby supernerd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:24 am

Blueocean, I can understand that. Most people around here who go to church...pardon the pun...religiously aren't very loving. They are very close-minded, and it makes me wonder about the credentials of the people doing the preaching.

Elibet
General of the Army

Re: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby Elibet » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:26 am

Just for the sake of sharing who we are:)

I am a born again Christian. I believe that we are born of the Spirit of God and that our flesh and bones are nothing but an earthly coat we wear.
When we shed that coat we return to Him, our true home. I do not believe in bashing people over the head with my beliefs, but that the Holy Spirit of God is the One who draws people to Himself. So, there is never any need for bashing, thrashing, or trashing.:)

I also want to say that I do believe there is a spiritual world all around us. Angels, demons, ghosts and evil spirits. I've seen, an angel, a demon, a ghost and an old hag of a spirit. All at different times in my life and all while I was wide awake and fully compos-mentos (?sp)

I've just realised that I don't know what Wiccan's or Pagans believe happen when their earthly bodies die. Anyone want to educate me:)

Elizabeth

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 am

Supernerd, I don't think it's always the preaching. Personally, we have a phenomenal preacher in our church, and still some people would just as soon bite your head off as look as you. But all the same. It's the people's relationship with God, and their willingness to take what the preacher says to heart. Assuming the preacher is following God.
My experience with people is this: They get so caught up in the outward appearance of living, the rules, traditions, and all that. They're like Jesus said. They've purified the outward appearance, but inside, they're no different. I've bee guilty of this myself. That's how I was raised. But I'm starting to realize that wearing the right clothes and acting a certain way isn't going to get me into Heaven when I die. What matters is the Relationship I have with God, and the outward is a reflection of the inward. Not vice versa.

supernerd
Captain

RE: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby supernerd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:39 am

I hear ya.

j_joshi
Major General

Postby j_joshi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:39 am

What a cool thread! I've been reading through the posts and have learned so much already about Paganism and many traditions. I loved hearing that story about the spiders spinning their web on the christmas tree so it looked like tinsel. I'd love to learn more.

I'm also heartened that there's been no uproar or meanness as people feared there might be. It proves yet again that we're a better type of forum than most.

As for myself, I'm a Hindu, was born an Hindu, an envision myself as always being a Hindu. I believe that God is one but has many forms and names, that the ultimate goal is to unite with him, and that we are all connected through him. I believe in that law of Karma, that for every action there is a reaction, and that God gives us more than one chance through reincarnation.

Jai

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:51 am

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:50 am

Ecoll, there is something else that many 'Christians' are ignorant about: approach. In cultural anthropology, there is a term called, "A Trust Bond". Essentially, If a person knows and trusts you, you can tell them a lot more than you can tell a stranger. Also, (hopefully) the person doing the telling will have the sense to know how the hearer will respond, and tread carefully in such topics.

The old saying goes, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." 'nuff said.

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:24 pm

Honey is much preferred. ;) I'll feel it when I feel it... I won't affect religion or faith for anyone. If I never feel that pull, then I never will. Whatever happens is going to happen. I'll know it when the time comes, if it does. I want it, but I also want it to be natural... and right now, I feel fine the way I am.

Elibet
General of the Army

Postby Elibet » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:25 pm

It's amazing how harsh words on a screen can come across. Without the inflection of the voice the words seem so cold and hard.

It's not only many Christians who are ignorant of cultural anthropology:) How do I know that? Because we ALL judge what we don't understand.
Elizabeth:)

I'm putting wee smily faces so ya'll know I'm not being hard and judgemental:)

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Oh... does it sound like we're getting harsh? I'm not trying to be. I'm only "sharing who I am" :) I enjoy these sort of discussions. Intelligent conversation is hard to find when the most complicated thing to answer is "Where'd my Barbie's head GO?!?" or "Honey, what's for dinner?" lol...

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!