religion -- enter at your own risk

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
supernerd
Captain

RE: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby supernerd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:47 am

I've heard about that! Now I understand...I think. How are the candles charged exactly? It is just by focusing on the intention and purpose of the candle or is there a specific ceremony? Also, I've read that you can "energize" (for lack of a better word) makeup too. A book I found in the library was talking about goths and how most goths are Pagans, and that when they put on their makeup they are performing a ritual. The makeup is meant as a shield or invitation...or something like that. I was only able to skim through the book, but that I found quite interesting.

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Re: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:50 am

The charging ritual is different for different religions. The candle is rubbed down with alcohol to cleanse it, and charged by focusing, yes and rubbing the candle with special oils... from bottom to top, I think. It may be top to bottom. I can't remember which. The oils used depend on the purpose of the ritual, as does the candle color, for some.

supernerd
Captain

Postby supernerd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:55 am

Please forgive my ignorance. If I offend anyone I truly don't mean to I'm just curious: What is the difference in Wicca and Witchcraft? Is there really such a thing as "White Magic" and "Black Magic"? And what is the difference between "Magic" and "Magick"?

And does anyone know the difference between Voo doo and Hoo doo?

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:07 am

lol... Hoodoo has roots in Catholicism and Voodoo. Voodoo is just voodoo. As for black magic, white magic... that's all a matter of personal opinion, isn't it? Many Christians think all magic is "black". There are those who claim to be "White witches" or "Black witches", but really... the only ones that I pay any mind to are those like Angel Dark... who just say "I'm a Pagan... I practice witchcraft" and that's the end of it. The whole white/black magic thing is irrelevant in most religions that use magic, because most advise against using magic for "uncouth" purposes. I've even heard the term "green witch" before... it's just personal opinion. Most magic users don't actually add any addendum or prefixes to it. It's just magic, or magick, whichever way you spell it.

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:11 am

Supernerd, you got me there. I have no idea, since I'm ignorant in the realm of "Magic" in the pop culture meaning of the word.

I would like to say how pleased I am that no one is (yet) religion bashing or making heated arguments. I hope this thread continues to be informational, inspirational, uplifting and wholesome.
Thanks, guys!

supernerd
Captain

Postby supernerd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:20 am

Me too! Are any of our fellow forumites well versed in Buddhism? (I hope I spelled that right.)

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:25 am

Hey! That's one i know absolutely nothing about... I'll have to fix that.

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:34 am

I know a TEENY bit about Buddhism from a class I took in High School. But I would love the chance to discuss and learn more.

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:37 am

Hmm... give me a day or two... The only thing I know about Buddhism is that many practice Vipassana... a meditation practice taught by Buddha... although I don't know if he actually came up with it, or just taught it.

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:42 am

I know slightly more about Hinduism, a little about Islam, and a lot about various sects of Christianity. There's a lot I do and don't agree with, even in my own sect. IMHO, the thing that really matters isn't the strict set of rules that are laid out by man, but a relationship with the Creator. A lot of Christians, especially in my owns sect, forget that part of it.
I think it was Ghandi who said, "I like the Christian's Christ. But I don't like the Christians. They're so unlike their Christ."

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!