[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
religion -- enter at your own risk : Take it Outside! • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

religion -- enter at your own risk

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
AngelRoseDarke
Sergeant Major

Re: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby AngelRoseDarke » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:06 am

Oh, I know the spider legend. In old Germany there is a tale that a family did not have the money to decorate their tree. They were a good family, but very poor. The spiders spun their silk in the tree on Christmas Eve night, and in the morning the light from the window made the webs glisten like tinsel. That is the basics of the story. My grandmother is German, and she used to tell it.

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:08 am

See, it's tinsel, not the colored balls. This is so fascinating... thank you all for keeping it civil and good natured!!

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:09 am

Interesting. Never heard that before. I'll never think of Tinsel the same way again, especially since my husband is scared to death of spiders.

AngelRoseDarke
Sergeant Major

Postby AngelRoseDarke » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:10 am

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:12 am

That's neat. I've never been trick-or-treating before. Our church always had an "alternative autumn party" to keep the kids off the streets. Didn't stop some of us, though. ;)
It sounds like fun.

AngelRoseDarke
Sergeant Major

Postby AngelRoseDarke » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:16 am

We live in the bible belt, so we try hard to keep things nice with our neighbors. There are only a handful of Pagans and other religions in the area. We try to set a good example. My oldest daughter is Christian too, and I don't want her to feel left out.

Many of the churches here have those parties as well. It's a big thing now.

Hopelessly hopeful
Major

Postby Hopelessly hopeful » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:30 am

supernerd
Captain

RE: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby supernerd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:31 am

I'd heard about the spiderwebs and hunting Easter eggs and throwing rice at weddings (I had to learn all that for my Sociology class). But I'd like to know what the significance of lighting candles is. I was toodling about the internet just looking up random things and I came across a site (couldn't tell you the name now if my life depended on it) about rituals and how the lighting of NEW candles was important. Maybe it pertained to the specific ritual? I don't know.

To be honest with y'all I haven't been on the forum much because it didn't seem like there was anything new to talk about, but this is so much fun.

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:40 am

Virgin candles are used in Pagan/Wiccan/Other religions because they are "bestowed" or "charged" with the intentions of the user by a ritual cleansing. Candles used by others, or for other purposes such as a dining room table, have already been "charged" with other energies. I'm not sure about other religions, but I read up about candle magicks not too long ago.

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:45 am

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!