[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
religion -- enter at your own risk : Take it Outside! • Page 150 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

religion -- enter at your own risk

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:44 am

What do you think of Pastafarianism? I have a friend who reveres the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I think it's a great movement, a very funny and intelligent way of making people look closer at their assumptions about god and religion.

What do you think about Jimmy Carter's recent statement about leaving the Baptist Church, as a show of support for global equality & rights for women? The idea is that religious texts like the Bible and the Koran have historically been (mis) used and (mis) quoted to justify subjugation and oppression of women world-wide. And so his group of Elders, as formed originally by Nelson Mandela, have quit, or are quitting, any religious affiliation that continues to use religion in this way. Personally, I think it's wonderful that Carter made that statement, yet I feel nothing will have really changed until someone who is actually holding office can take such a step openly.

madmanx
Private E-1

Re: It's ALL true!

Postby madmanx » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 am

Last edited by madmanx on Wed May 14, 2014 9:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: It's ALL true!

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm Baptist and I do not follow the whole women are inferior crowd. That's a southern type thinking process that's not just Baptist, but more of a left over southern culture where the white man thought he was above all, except God. That's my belief anyway. I also believe everyone is created equal in the eyes of God, and we should stop separating ourselves based on race. We should instead consider ourselves the human race.

I think you are giving a majority of Christians and probably other religions too much credit when you mention religious intellectual. If you asked 1,000 Christians for instance if they have ever read the Bible cover to cover, I would expect you may get 10. You may get less. Same goes for other religions. People who grew up with God believed in God because a preacher, priest, mother, father, etcetera, told them they needed to. They didn't research for themselves or read the entire Bible to understand its significance. If someone, like myself, has read the Bible then they have to have pages upon pages of questions. The Bible is filled with confusing text and discrepancies. No one can understand all of it.

History is always written by the victors. Winston Churchill (This is in reference to your statement about history and religion.)

Can we really conclude there is only one God? I agree there is one above all others, but there are many verses in the old testament that refer to a plural. This goes back to discrepancies and interpretation.

madmanx
Private E-1

Thought I should mention this.

Postby madmanx » Sat May 18, 2013 4:12 pm

madmanx
Private E-1

No, it's not clever.

Postby madmanx » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:28 am

Justin Rocket
Private E-1

Postby Justin Rocket » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:38 pm

More than one god in the Bible
Deuteronomy 32 : 8 - 9
Psalms 82 : 1
Psalms 95 : 3
Psalms 97 : 7

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Justin Rocket
Private E-1

Postby Justin Rocket » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:04 pm

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:22 am

And what does a god have to be jealous of, except another god?

davidtrounce
Private E-1

Postby davidtrounce » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:43 pm

Jealousy includes the idea of affection and a desire to protect. The God in the Bible is described as a Jealous God in His protective love and devotion to His people. His jealousy is aroused by those who would make a false claim to divinity in order to lead His people astray.... get them chasing after other (unreliable) lovers.
Currently fumbling around with articles. Trying to fill the world with Kissable words.

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!