[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
religion -- enter at your own risk : Take it Outside! • Page 149 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

religion -- enter at your own risk

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
rosebud
Major

Re: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby rosebud » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:21 pm

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:29 am

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:27 am

I might be confusing Buddhism with Hinduism. Not an expert, just an observer of my Indian friends. That said, I just realized my mistake. Sorry folks.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Last edited by TerryRodgers on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Yeah Terry,

I think you're right. I was thinking of Hinduism. You didn't offend me, I just thought you were mistaken and a little harsh. Thanks for the link.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11 am

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:45 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:48 pm

madmanx
Private E-1

It's ALL true!

Postby madmanx » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 am

Believing the core point of a great majority of religions (that of sole possession of revelation/the 'supreme truth) is not extremism. People who think they're right, or that they have the logical, evidential, or spiritual advantage are not ignorant bigots by definition. The concept of a single truth that one can be intellectually closer to than another is woven into our being, being a conclusion reached by both logic and (for lack of a better word) common sense.

The sort of relativism that has become popular these days is the spiritual equivalent of being extremely politically correct; it's neither offensive at first glance, or correct. ("Not correct!How do you know?" Because it contradicts itself on a million different levels. See: )
Respecting other beliefs and accepting them all are two totally different things. "None of them and yet all of them are true" might sound deep and enlightened, but only until you start really thinking about it.
People hate to be wrong, but that doesn't make them all right.

Sorry for sounding cold or mean, I'm just trying to get that out of the way; you can't exactly sustain an argument by saying everybody's wrong and right.

Let's try this: Seek the truth, or as close as you can get to it.
That's the purpose of science (except in the case of today's dominant philosophy of materialistic naturalism, which I'll save for another post) and theology.
Last edited by madmanx on Wed May 14, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: It's ALL true!

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:08 pm

If you are referring to everyone is right and wrong, I think it's a very well-rounded theory. Since religion is based solely on faith, then there is absolutely no way of knowing which truth is correct. Until such time God or whatever the name of the supreme being is in other religions physically reveals itself, we will not know. It's matter of one's faith that carries on a person's religion. I have faith, therefore I believe. What separates many in today's society from the thousands of years of fighting on the base of religion is that we as a whole are more tolerant of what people practice. Maybe that has come from because of doubt. Maybe it comes from science. Maybe it comes from generations of increasing knowledge.

As for evolution, it's another theory just like religion. Scientists study the nows in order to theorize the past. They study the remnants of the past in order to theorize the future (The future being now.). And like religion, if I wasn't there when a great event happened, then I can only theorize what actually did happen. I'm a Christian, but I'm also open minded. Until someone can invent a time machine and take me back to the defining points in the Bible or, back and watch monkeys become human, I have to believe what I have sought after in my very very short life.

Science and religion have equal billing in my life. I have to many questions to believe otherwise. I see the universe as nothing more than a miracle. Science is not based on miracles. But I also have no problem with believing an entity far greater than anything humans can comprehend could have gave the big bang a little push. After all, the universe became something from nothing. How does science explain that? The Old Testament is way too vague on the creation of the universe and being that Moses wrote Genesis thousands of years after Adam, plus only eight people came off the ark, interpretation is in question. Those thousands of years could easily be hundreds of thousands or millions at which time God gave a monkey a little push.

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!