[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
religion -- enter at your own risk : Take it Outside! • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

religion -- enter at your own risk

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
supernerd
Captain

RE: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby supernerd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:46 am

I did not know that. I was taught that anything other than Christianity was pagan. Learned something new.;)

AngelRoseDarke
Sergeant Major

Re: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby AngelRoseDarke » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:13 am

ecoll is right. I am what's also called an eclectic witch, which means I practice several types of magick. Druidism is one of the Pagan paths. Many people now include Wicca in there too, but it is a bit different. Wicca is very female oriented.

Hopelessly hopeful
Major

Postby Hopelessly hopeful » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:20 am

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:34 am

Oh yes... Wicca is a fairly "new-ish" religion. Wicca reveres "the mother"... women are given such titles as "Priestess" and etc. and are almost worshiped...The Maiden, The Mother and The Crone are some things I remember. Women are the life-givers and are revered. (Or something like that) It is based on some of the Pagan beliefs, but not the same at all. I love religious discussions. They can be intellectually stimulating, if everyone remembers that no one is attacking them for their faith. Christianity encompasses a wide range of religious denominations and many Christian Holidays coincide with Pagan celebration days (I can't remember any specifics). There are many religions based from Paganism, but Pagans are of the "old" religion. There is much more focus on ceremonies, many of which were practiced by people in the Bible... Moses... that one guy who was going to slaughter his son because god demanded it... Was that Abraham? I can't remember. The funny thing is, if you sift through all the religions, you'll find that many of the stories and beliefs are the same. There is a version of the tale of Cain and Abel carved in hieroglyphs on some wall in Egypt... a wall that pre-dates the original Biblical scrolls. There is a different version of the Virgin Mary in a lot of religions. And Adam.

I've watched a documentary on tales that were taken out of the Bible. (It may even be the one you were referring to supernerd... they've shown it several times) One such tale is the story of Lillith, Adam's supposed first wife. There are many versions of Lilith in other cultures and religions... (She actually has her own religion, believe it or not) as there are many versions of almost ALL the stories in the Bible. You'd think with all these similarities, we "superior beings of the Earth" would figure out that we all just want the same thing. A good life on Earth and whatever happens after death, if anything. I have often wondered though, in the story of Cain, how he goes out among the people of the world, if god only created Adam and Eve... their subsequent children would be the only other people. Could this be a clue in the Bible that evolution did indeed occur? Cain's fear of these "People of the Earth" lends credence to this, perhaps, since Neanderthal Man was supposedly savage and brutal. Perhaps it doesn't at all. Who's to say?

Basically, no one really knows for certain. All they have is their faith... and if they have that, who gives a flying leap off a bridge what anyone else thinks? And just who would I be to try and take that from them? Faith is a powerful thing and it gives many who have it comfort. I envy them that and feel no need to tear down religions, though I don't believe in them. I wish I could believe in them, but I'm just a human who's too dumb to know. I wasn't gifted with that knowledge. I can say "I don't know" with confidence, just as many can say "I believe" with the same amount of confidence. I admire their ability to say so. It takes something stronger than I have in me to be able to say that. One day, maybe I'll find something I can say "I believe" about. I hope so. Until then... I'll wait and stay dumb.

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:38 am

I don't think this needs to turn into a place for arguments and trying to change each other's viewpoints. I think we can make this a place to learn about what others believe. Already there are questions going on as far as what Paganism really is. So far there isn't any bashing or tearing each other apart. I hope we can keep it that way. There's no reason this forum can't be uplifting and insightful.
I, for one, and curious to know about other religious views. Not out of dissatisfaction with my own, but we're writers. We glean from each other. We learn. We listen. And when necessary, we reply.

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:43 am

Ecoll, I think Easter is one of the holidays to which you refer. In the Bible, Easter is mentioned before the event which spawned the Christian reason to celebrate Easter. Also, I think the tradition of the Christmas Tree. Christmas itself, (Christ's Mass) is a Catholic-initiated holiday, but I've heard the Tree was a tradition brought into the celebration by Pagans. Those are the only two I know of.

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:59 am

Oh, there are several versions of the same holidays... in Finland, I think it is, their Christmas has something to do with a goat... where men would, in the good ol' days of pillage and terror, wear a goat mask and force their way into villagers homes and take what they wanted, including women. There's another where "Sinter Clause" was a goblin (Or something) that terrorized children who misbehaved. Far cry from the jolly fat man in the red suit, but hey. Germans hung spider figurines on their trees for some reason or another (So many religions and customs, so little brain space), and that somehow turned into colored balls. The bells hung on Christmas trees were to ward off evil spirits. There's one religion (something akin to voodoo, I think) that hangs uncapped, colored bottles filled with blessed water in trees around their home to ward off evil. When the wind sounds through the bottles, they believe they've caught an evil spirit trying to come to their home. It's all interesting, though, huh?

AngelRoseDarke
Sergeant Major

Postby AngelRoseDarke » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:02 am

We celebrate Yule on December 25th. It is the celebration of winter. We have the tree, the yule log, a feast, and gift giving. Easter is another one. It is the Spring Celebration. Halloween is our Samhain. That is our New Year. We celebrate the harvest. It's the end of the old and a time to prepare for winter and the birth of new things come spring. Those are the biggest ones off hand.

supernerd
Captain

RE: religion -- enter at your own risk

Postby supernerd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:03 am

Blueocean, I completely agree. I think people get heated over their beliefs because they feel that to even talk of others somehow threatens their own. I don't feel that. I enjoy hearing about what others believe though it may differ from what I believe.

Blueocean
Lieutenant

Postby Blueocean » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:06 am

Hmmm... It's neat to hear how different people celebrate similar holidays. Sadly, I really don't know the origin of many traditions, although I find them fascinating when I do hear of them.
AngelRoseDarke, On Holloween, do you guys go trick-or-treating, or do you celebrate differently?

PreviousNext

Return to Take it Outside!