UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
madmanx

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Postby madmanx » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:11 pm

I've always been a Sci-fi Guy, and mainly for this reason: I did not, ever-ever-ever, want to end up writing ANYTHING with elves, dwarves, dragons (well, actually...), 3000 pages, or an even loosely Norse flavor (But I also don't like medieval fantasy...). It's all just too well-worn for me (But don't think I'm one of those silly lads who try to avoid ideas that have any hint of familiarity). I have recently, however, begun further development of an old, weird idea...
Warning: Idea still in vague plotting stage.
Okay, so a guy moves into an old house that'sconstantly squeaking (I've lived in those), gets half-unpacked, and sleeps in the big ol' master bed, only to discover when he wakes up that [GASP!!!], while he feels like he slept for hours, time hasn't passed at all! And then, blah, blah, blah, it turns out that the squeaking of the doors-- aye, the squeaking of the whole house-- is actually speech! Different parts of the house talking to each other (and you can only hear if you really listen), mostly at night (have you noticed that you don't really hear a noisy house's squeaking until you're laying in bed?).

And then, blah, blah, blah, some visitors--complete strangers-- ring the door bell, which is rather weird... because the door bell is BROKEN!!!! (DUN, DUN, DUUNNNN!!!!) While they're there, the house is completely silent. And, while the MC doesn't suspect anything at first, the visitors turn out to be ancient something-or-rathers!

That's as far as I got. But anyway, my question; My working title for this so far is "Doors that talk", 'cause I'm creative like that.The question is: Would you pick up a book with such a title? If not, do you have any suggestions? (I'll write it down for later-- I'm too busy too delve into this particular idea just yet) I'll probably come up with an awesome title eventually, but just in case...

Oldtimer

Re: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Everyone's familiar with the phrase: Walls have ears. 'Doors that talk' doesn't have the same ring. You need to infer some intrigue, the way 'Walls have ears' infers that there's an eavesdropper around. Sorry I can't offer any suggestions.

madmanx

Postby madmanx » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Well, there are 3 books (at least in the goodreads listings) called "The walls have ears", and one of them is gay erotica, so that titles out. I was thinking maybe "Funny Houses"..? I don't know, something with that sort of offbeat quirkiness.

Laycrew

Postby Laycrew » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Just throwing something out there--"The Secret Language of Houses" Or "The Secret Language of My House" "My House can Talk" or "My House can Talk, How About Yours?"

I dunno.
https://twitter.com/Laycrew
https://www.facebook.com/authorKimberlyLay

Published in: Mental Ward: Echoes of the Past Anthology

nhope

Postby nhope » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:31 am

Actually, I'm going to steal from Dorothy's comment and recommend "Eavesdroppers". It's intriguing, mysterious, and loaded with possibilities.

After all, they are listening to you, right?
There needs to be some madness.

http://introverted-writer.blogspot.com

madmanx

Postby madmanx » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:50 pm

nhope wrote:Actually, I'm going to steal from Dorothy's comment and recommend "Eavesdroppers". It's intriguing, mysterious, and loaded with possibilities.

After all, they are listening to you, right?

Hmm...

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Worrying about whether the tile will sell the book at this point is pretty pointless. A like a good title, but I don;t buy or reject base don the. Jacket copy matters, and reading the first page matters even more.

And odds are that you'll change the title after you write the book, or the editor will change it for you. Readers will buy because the story sounds intriguing, and because the first page reads well enough t make them want to read the rest of the book.

Deb E

Postby Deb E » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 pm

I agree with James. 9 out of 10 times, the publisher will change the name anyway. It's the first thing you give up when you get signed.
Debra Easterling
www.debraeasterling.com

gesler0811

Postby gesler0811 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:36 am

Write the book. Just get it done. The title will probably take care of itself, when you're done. There's bound to be a stray line somewhere in the text that would make a good title, rather something that a character says, or a line of description that will not come to you until you're actually writing it down.
Image Image
LINE OF SIGHT: zombies, voodoo, and artifacts: Urban Fantasy with a New Orleans Flair!!! (99 Cent Special)
DRURY MANOR: VOLUME 1 (FREE!) - Axe murders, ghosts, and mystery
http://www.eslermedia.com/blog

TerryRodgers

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:17 pm

I agree with the last few posts. Just write the thing. A title will come later. If this is scifi then maybe it's not the walls talking but . . . wait for it . . .

Behind the Walls.

:P

Next

Return to Take it Outside!