Mood Block

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Deb E

Mood Block

Postby Deb E » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:53 am

I used to challenge others to write their way through their writer's block. It can be done. However, like most people who judge others, I now have to eat my words. I found myself facing the same dilemma, but in a different sort of way. I can always write the words, but the flow, the creativity, and the passion seems to follow my mood. Right now, things are super horrible at home. No holiday celebrations for us. So, now, I find myself unable to sit at the computer. There is no passion, no desire to write, and I simply don't care. I know I'll want to write when things are better, but until then...

So, my fellow writers, how do you get past the Mood Block? How do you push yourself when writing is not enjoyable for the time being? :cry:
Debra Easterling
www.debraeasterling.com

shadowwalker

Re: Mood Block

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:21 am

Mood is all writer's block really is. People aren't in the mood to write, they can't find the passion, the enjoyment - so they don't. People who don't believe in writer's block ignore mood, passion, enjoyment because they know it's not going to get written if those are prerequisites.

Not to say, of course, that RL can't wreak havoc on one's ability to write, but it shouldn't wreak havoc 24/7. Unless the situation is such that all concentration and energy has to go into it or there's an illness - of course, that's not writer's block. That's just dealing with RL.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

LilliesCarol

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:05 am

Hey, Deb, I've seen you worm your way out of many situations in the past. I've found that through the years, when I've hit those low points the knowledge and depth of feelings obtained from them have only produced a greater understanding for some of my character's character. You're a good writer and your sense of humor has been your saving grace many times. In the words of an old song, "Let a smile be your umbrella." I'm counting you. PS, Deb, if you think you've got a problem, check out my latest post in the humor section.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Jowen

Postby Jowen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:28 am

Deb E wrote:I used to challenge others to write their way through their writer's block. It can be done. However, like most people who judge others, I now have to eat my words. I found myself facing the same dilemma, but in a different sort of way. I can always write the words, but the flow, the creativity, and the passion seems to follow my mood. Right now, things are super horrible at home. No holiday celebrations for us. So, now, I find myself unable to sit at the computer. There is no passion, no desire to write, and I simply don't care. I know I'll want to write when things are better, but until then...

So, my fellow writers, how do you get past the Mood Block? How do you push yourself when writing is not enjoyable for the time being? :cry:

Hi Deb, hope the super-horrible problems are soon solved, and that you are able to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday after all. I wouldn't sweat the writing. Unless it distracts you from your problems, takes you to another place outside your home situation, I would table it until you once again feel the desire, the passion and creativity. No point in beating yourself up about it, it will only add to your stress.
[imge=3509-3]

rosebud

Postby rosebud » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi Deb,

Sorry to hear you're having a down day. I just received a phone call from my youngest son crying because he decided to spend Thanksgiving with his friends in NY rather than come home to Maryland. Now he can't wait to come home for the Christmas break. It's the first time we spent the holiday apart.

I came home from a hard day of work expecting my husband would have prepared the ham we bought along with some green bean casserole. Instead he made salisbury steaks and mashed potatoes.

I was disappointed on two accounts but tuned into WD with a glass of wine and will probably get over my down mood enough to write some of my nano novel which has be sadly lacking.

Hope you can recharge your mood or just call it a day. After all it is a holiday and you don't really have to work, now do you?

Happy Thanksgiving from a fellow poster. Hope it turns out well.

nhope

Postby nhope » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Deb, sometimes you aren't supposed to push past things to write. Sometimes you're supposed to take a break and take care of your own needs. Sometimes you can't write simply because it needs to be about you for a while and not your characters.

So put down your pen and take as long as you need to nurse your wounds and feel better. When it's time to write again you will. Keep the faith.
There needs to be some madness.

http://introverted-writer.blogspot.com

Deb E

Postby Deb E » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks, I think I do need to take a break, although I hate to do so. I lost my job in August. We had no savings. Although my husband works, it isn't enough to cover our large family's expenses. We haven't paid all of October's rent, none of November's, and we have nothing for December. We had a shut off for electricity, and although family came through with loans, it will take my husband's entire check on Saturday to pay them back, leaving us again without a cent. Kids only eat once a day, and then not full meals. We don't even have enough for gas to go see my newest grandbaby only 2 hours away. There will be nothing under the Christmas tree this year. I'm 55 in a horrendous job market.

So, you see, I find it impossible to concentrate or be creative with my writing. Writing would help me I'm sure, but right now all I can do is curl up in a ball and cry. Unlike writer's block, I KNOW what to write, but the passion has temporarily gone. I can't write without passion. I have the same problem with marketing my book that was just published. It doesn't seem to be making quite a hit, and I don't have the money for marketing.

I know all this will pass. Everything will turn out and I've learned powerful lessons in all this. I just hate sitting around and doing nothing, but writing isn't a good choice at the moment. Too busy with my pity party I guess.
Debra Easterling
www.debraeasterling.com

Laycrew

Postby Laycrew » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:45 pm

I am so sorry to hear you are going through some tough times. I can completely relate because not too long ago we had a summer where my husband couldn't find work at all when his business went under and I worked at an elementary school so my puny paycheck was all we had to live off of to provide for a household of 7. Because I was home with the kids, and couldn't do a thing while I tried to figure out how to keep some food in the house, I wrote. I wrote and wrote to escape from thinking about all that was driving me nuts, all the things I couldn't take of. Now that things have improved, we are always on a roller coaster ride when it comes to our income and I still retreat to a world of my own making to gain some control of all the things that are out of control in the real world. If writing doesn't offer relief then don't do it though. It just really helped me.

I didn't check to see where you are from but hopefully you can take advantage of some of the programs out there to help you out. It took forever before we applied for Food Stamps and once we qualified, I never felt so much relief and the first time I went to the grocery store, the kids thought they were in heaven with the food I filled the cupboards with because it had been so long since an abundance of food had been in there.

My heart aches for you because I know how hard it can be in that situation. As long as it may last, even though it feels like forever, it won't be. Don't be ashamed or afraid to seek help. You might be surprised where it comes from. I am thinking of you and hope something turns around for you sooner rather than later.
https://twitter.com/Laycrew
https://www.facebook.com/authorKimberlyLay

Published in: Mental Ward: Echoes of the Past Anthology

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:04 am

I don't think you problem has anything to do with writing. You don't have mood block, you simply have terrible things going on in you life that need your attention.

Some people bury themselves in writing when things like this happen, others can't write at all, but in either case, it just isn't about the writing. If you can sell your writing, it's good to keep at it, at least part time, but what you need is money. If you can't make it by writing, then you need to make it some other way, even if it's a part time job at a local convenience store. First you take care of yourself and your family. If you can do this by writing, great. If you can't, then writing needs to be put aside for a time.

I've been where you are, and you're right, things will change, but you usually have to jump start the process.

But I will say you can market a book to death online, and do so pretty much for free. I'll also say passion is overrated, and sometimes you have to do things because they need to be done. I never could work up much passion for shovelling coal, but I needed the money, so I shoveled coal.

Sometimes it's been the same way with writing. I've done a hundred nonfiction projects, and a handful of fiction projects, that I had no passion for, but I needed the money, so I did them.

Elibet1

Postby Elibet1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:33 am

Deb,
(((hugs))) Praying you can find a new job to help with the financial side of things. I agree with everyone else with so much going on writing may need to be left on the back burner for a while. That said, I also understand writing is a way of escape and you may need that to stay sane... Praying God will make a way where there seems to be no way.
[b]JOINED: WED APR 5th 2006. POSTS: 7,577[/b]
http://elizabethre.wordpress.com

Next

Return to Take it Outside!