[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Nicholas Sparks : Book Discussion • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Nicholas Sparks

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
allz28
Captain

Re: Nicholas Sparks

Postby allz28 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:00 am

I don't think it's about changing the types of books he writes. No need to switch genres. But he does need to branch out in his characterizations and settings. I especially hate that he keeps writing the same few characters and naming them different names in each new book.

But that's just my opinion. I have high standards. Lol

With The Notebook, he did originally set out to write literature though. I think he's strayed from that, and I would like to see him pick that goal up again.

msjhord
Private First Class

Postby msjhord » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:21 am

That's what I think I'm trying to say, allz, albeit I'm getting tripped up on the verbage. There's more to NC than just the Outer Banks/Lower Coastal areas. Granted, this is where he's from and thus what he knows, he should write about it. And he has. Many times. Let's go somewhere else now. How about let's go over the Mountains, or the Sandhills of the state? Let's get some deeper characters, perhaps some with more flaws. Dual personalities? Yeah, that would rock!

Bridget O' Brady
Private E-2

Postby Bridget O' Brady » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:20 pm

I have only read one of Nicholas Spark's books. The Last Song, I really liked it although it made me cry. I guess I should read more.

lisekny
Private E-1

Postby lisekny » Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm

I agree with you. Even though they are similar, you should read "Nights in Rodanthe", "Message in the bottle", and "Choice". Those are my favorites. :)

lisekny
Private E-1

Postby lisekny » Tue May 17, 2011 1:46 pm

I always cry on his books :)

lit_lover88
Private E-1

RE: Nicholas Sparks

Postby lit_lover88 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:07 am

I agree with both sides here. Admittedly, I have only read "The Last Song" and "Dear John" but I have seen all of the movie adaptations of his novels. A few friends of mine say that they closely follow the books, but whether that is true or not, I honestly do not know. However, based on the assumption that it is true, Sparks is following a similar pattern with his characterization and basic plot outlines. I read in an article on the web that was a how-to guide for writing a Nicholas Sparks novel. It pretty much went like this:

1. Develop main character, assign him or her a struggle
2. Boy meets girl or vice versa, (insert lovey dovey feelings here)
3. Give either boy or girl an incurable disease, ailment, what have you, or make them chicken out of the relationship for whatever reason.
4. Last but not least, kill a character off or reunite them.

So based on finding articles like that, there is some credibility to the theory that all of his books resemble each other. However, do most writers not show a resemblance in their stories somehow? Even though reading his stories are like listening to a broken record, I enjoyed the two I read, and I'm sure I will enjoy his other works that I plan on reading. Everybody is entitled to an opinion but he has obviously stumbled onto something, otherwise big-wig movie makers wouldn't be scrambling to get ahold of the movie rights.............

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 pm

lit_lover88
Private E-1

Postby lit_lover88 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:59 am

lol That was the point I was trying to make when I asked if all writers stories resembled each other in some form or fashion.

Wasylowski
Private E-1

Postby Wasylowski » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Don't all his books end with someone dying? I hate sad endings - I can't read them anymore. I can't spend all those hours with a character and have them die on me. Maybe because I'm older and have lost too many people but I hate Nicholas Sparks. Why is it that only books with sad endings, or non-endings, are regarded as great literature these days. If there is a happy ending it's a "cop out" or a "chick lit" or "not realistic". Well, sometimes good things DO happen to good people. I want Nicholas Sparks money though.

BookOwl
Private E-1

Postby BookOwl » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:15 am

I really wanted to like Nicholas Sparks's books- I really did. Everyone was raving about them, so I decided to try them. Unfortunately, they weren't for me. I don't know if it was the genre(I don't read too much Romance) or the author's writing itself, but I just couldn't connect/bring myself to care about the characters.
pagechaser.blogspot.com

Previous

Return to Book Discussion