[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Nicholas Sparks : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Nicholas Sparks

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
msjhord
Private First Class

Nicholas Sparks

Postby msjhord » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:14 pm

msjhord
Private First Class

Nicholas Sparks

Postby msjhord » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Okay, I will admit that -- at one time -- I was a Nicholas Sparks fan. I'm from eastern NC, so his stories and the scenery and dipiction of coastal living really resonated with me. Especially when I lived out of state and was only able to get home once a year. But I flip thru the books of his that I have now and I just REALLY DON'T LIKE THEM. They all seem to be intricately woven versions of the same tale. Same struggles, same dialogues, same descriptions. AAAAUUUGGGH!!! And to think, at that same one time, I aspired to that level of writing.

Am I just being a hater?

allz28
Captain

Re: Nicholas Sparks

Postby allz28 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:31 pm

deleted
Last edited by allz28 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msjhord
Private First Class

Postby msjhord » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:27 am

Yeah, THE NOTEBOOK was awesome. Just really simple yet good. It hooked me. My next one was A WALK TO REMEMBER. Bought it in airport for a flight to OK. It was fine. But, I don't know,maybe I became more aware as a reader or something. But with each one I read it's like there was a voice in my head saying, "Haven't we been down this road with guy already? Twice? No, three times?"

Wow, even in his hometown peeps think he's a broken record. Sheesh, must have a doozie of a publicist/agent/management team!!

allz28
Captain

Postby allz28 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:03 am

Last edited by allz28 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msjhord
Private First Class

Postby msjhord » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:11 am

You might be right. There is that old business adage. Find one thing you're good at and do it, and do it well. Guess he's taken that approach. But I agree. He does have talent. Good, storytelling talent. I'd love to siphon some of it and use it to turn out something awesome. But alas, I think that sort of thing is frowned upon. Something about bioethical clash, I don't know. Maybe I just need more caffeine.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:41 am

I still love him. His books are no more identical than just about any other writer I can think of. He sure as hell isn't wasting his talent, and does not lack courage. He's writing what he wants to write, and what millions want to read. Anything beyond this is pretentiousness.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 am

msjhord
Private First Class

Postby msjhord » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:28 am

I see your point Misters Darcy and Ritchie. If he's going for that and he's giving his readers what they want, I guess there's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps it is I that have changed and his writing no longer appeals to me, thus I am no longer in his fanbase. Of course, it could also be the ADHD talking and that is screaming, "Already read this!" in my head.

Oh well, opinions are like noses. We all got 'em and they ain't all purty (yes, grammatical and spelling errors are intentional there). They're nonetheless critical for the enjoyment of life.

ambermg
Private First Class

Postby ambermg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Next

Return to Book Discussion