'A Painted House" by John Grisham

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
SandraJ

Postby SandraJ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:53 pm

SandraJ

Postby SandraJ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:53 pm

This book was given to me by a friend of my husband's, a friend I did not know shared the same love of reading that I do. He was very nonchalant about it, simply saying he enjoyed the story and thought I would as well. That's when I knew I would love the book - and I did. Have any of you read this one?

'A Painted House' is not your typical Grisham story. There are no lawyers, courtrooms or legal battles. It is written from the point of view of a seven year old boy, growing up on an Arkansas cotton farm in the early 1950's. I was swept along as the young boy went about his life of new experiences, new loves, and new understandings.

Even though the ending had me feeling the book would be best followed by a sequel (it just sort of ended), I thoroughly enjoyed it, and am interested on comments anyone else has about it.

Sandra

Susan

RE: 'A Painted House" by John Grisham

Postby Susan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:46 am

I love Grisham and have read most of his books, but I couldn't get into A Painted House.  I still have it and may try again someday, though....

He really is a teriffic writer.

Insanity

RE: 'A Painted House" by John Grisham

Postby Insanity » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:30 pm

I like his writing as well or better when he branches out from the legal thriller.  He is a very talented writer and can tackle a variety of areas.  I also liked Skipping Christmas, Bleachers, and Playing For Pizza.  I mostly listen to his books while I'm on the road.  He is one of my top 10 that I grab when they are released.

Return to Book Discussion