[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Anyone else read any of these?

I'm almost finished the first one, 'Gardens of the Moon' and HOLY CRAP am I confused. So much going on, so many characters, so many back-handed conspiracies. But it's well written and I've been told that after the first novel (there are 10 altogether, I believe) it gets easier to follow.

Vaterstix
Private E-1

Re: Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson

Postby Vaterstix » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:02 pm

I've read up to about half way through the seventh book and YES! they are confusing at times. I read the first book years ago and by the end, I had to seriously think back and try to understand what I just read. Erikson has an amazing world he's created along with Ian C. Esslemont, who has also written books set in the Malazan world, but there is so much going on that I almost needed a guidebook to follow every plot, subplot and sub-subplot. The story does begin to iron out as you go on but as I said, the vast world is expanded more and more. If you like the characters in the first book, you won't see a lot of them again until the third book. So much to digest but absolutely an amazing epic series in fantasy.

I'm actually taking a break from the series right now. Needed to read something a little more straight forward for the time being.

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:40 pm

I hear that! The human brain definitely needs a rest after reading one of those suckers! I went ahead and read the second book in the series as well, Deadhouse Gates. In many ways, I preferred it over the first one, but it still had me confused at times. It just seems so convenient that all these different characters doing all these different things in all these different parts of the land always end up in the same place at the same time for the big final battle. Anyway, I'm not sure that I am going to proceed any farther with the series. I might have reached the end of my rope....

Vaterstix
Private E-1

Postby Vaterstix » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:54 pm

I really enjoyed book 2 as well and found book 3, Memories of Ice, to almost be like a close to a trilogy or arc so to speak but once you get into book 4, Erikson opens the world a whole lot more. If you enjoyed book 2, I would recommend book 3.

Return to Book Discussion