[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Your "Masters" : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Your "Masters"

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Your "Masters"

Postby Noizchild » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Who do you absolutely have to have in your collection? Me? Anne Rice and Shakespeare. I might add Laurell k. Hamilton if I get off my lazy behind.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

updog
General of the Army

Re: Your "Masters"

Postby updog » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:43 pm

Neil Gaiman. I've liked everything I've read of his. Also J.R.R. Tolkien, Patricia A. McKillip, and Robin McKinley, and Juliet Marillier. These five have never let me down.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

RobV
Private E-1

Postby RobV » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:58 pm

I don't know about my masters, but Philip K Dick is definitely a master, also insane though (which is somewhat depressing). I'd say Vonnegut, also more recently, I have been reading Iain M Banks; both who are eminently rational though.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:53 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

RobV
Private E-1

Postby RobV » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:29 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:13 am

In stream of consciousness style, Shakespeare, Cooper, Twain, Dickens, Melville, Poe, Thoreau, Kipling (Always Poe and Kipling), Stevenson, London, Frost, Dickinson, Burns, Keats, Longfellow, Wordsworth, Byron, Tennyson, Browning, Austen, Hemingway, Clark, Heinlein, Bradbury, King, Koontz, Block, Parker, John D. MacDonald, Rowling, McMurtry.

I'm leaving out many I demand in my library, but these just popped into my head, so they must be something special. I rad most of them over and over. I've read Thoreau's, Walden's Pond, On Civil Disobedience, and Walking, at least twenty-five times. Reading them each year is now a ritual.

Noizchild

Postby Noizchild » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:59 am

I don't know about "masters" but some writers I keep coming back to: Ruth Rendell, Margaret Atwood, A.S. Byatt, Shirley Jackson, Italo Calvino, Nicholson Baker, Alexander McCall Smith, Sue Townsend. There are probably some others as well, for instance in the summer I love to re-read the Lucia series by E.F. Benson and I love the Darling Buds of May author & his series about the Larkin family. I think its Bates. Right now I'm re-reading Crome Yellow by Huxley. I also like to revist Alice Walker every few years.

Noizchild

Postby Noizchild » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Hmm... I wouldn't place Shakespeare on "my" list. He's worthy. I just will never emulate his style. Know what I mean? That knocks out John Milton, and Chaucer, too, though I enjoy the modern translations of their works.

The kinds of masters I must have: Asimov, Arthur C Clarke (Note the ending E), Bradbury, Andre Norton, Frederick Pohl (esecially in collaboration with...), Jerry Pournelle. EE "Doc" Smith, the master of the space opera. Elizabeth Moon. Sorry to those who dislike his politics, but Orson Scott Card's writing is WAY up there. Bruce Sterling, practically the inventor of cyberpunk. I really like Jane Austen's attention to social mores. CJ Cherryh.

There's a whole host of authors, like Shakespeare, that I love, but since I'll never emulate them, they don't go on this list. Strangely, Heinlein is one of those. He gets a bit preachy in some of his works, and the stories are very straightforward. Maybe even simple. LeGuin. I like Left Hand of Darkness and really love Lathe of Heaven. I just don't see me writing like her. Anne Rice. I really like her Vampire series, and some of her... ahem... "less mainstream" work. But she bends gender in ways I just don't see me going.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Next

Return to Book Discussion