[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Recommend Me A Good Mystery/Thriller Novel : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Recommend Me A Good Mystery/Thriller Novel

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
legeScott3
Private E-1

Recommend Me A Good Mystery/Thriller Novel

Postby legeScott3 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:12 pm

I like a lot of books by John Sandford, Harlen Coben, Sandra Brown, Stephen King, Iris Johansen, David Baldacci. I hope that helps on suggestions. Thanks!

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Re: Recommend Me A Good Mystery/Thriller Novel

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:21 pm

You mentioned him already, but I really love Harlan Coben's "Myron Bolitar" novels. The interplay between Myron and Win is always classic, and Win himself is such an interesting character, an anomaly in so many ways. Plus, the mysteries in general seem to be well thought out and well plotted.

legeScott3
Private E-1

Postby legeScott3 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 am

You know I can't say I ever read that first "Myron Bolitar" novel. I think I glimpsed at it when I first found him as an author but I liked "Just One Look" and "Gone for Good by him but I'm not that picky. I may have to give it a try. Thank you very much for the reply!

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Cool. I've read several of them. Not sure how many. Five or six, I guess.

Anyway, Myron Bolitar is a sports agent who ends up getting hired to investigate mysteries involving either athletes that he is representing, or their families, or something that involves them in someway. Like say, someone he represents is arrested for murder, or gets kidnapped. His best friend Win is a WASP in every sense of the word, yet is hilarious and is quite lethal. The mysteries are typically well paced and fun to guess along to. I don't read a lot of mysteries in general, but I always loved how he slows down the story every few chapters and sort of reviews the clues so you can guess along. I've gotten a couple of them right!

legeScott3
Private E-1

Postby legeScott3 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:06 am

Huh, how many are there total in the series?

Ahh, okay. I think I have read a golf one by him that I liked so I will have to be reading those. I think I remember Win being pretty funny. That's what I struggle with sometimes. I try to guess what happens and I always assume I have an idea of what is going to happen and then the tables turn. I will have to give the series a shot, but right now I am giving his new one Missing You a try. After that I hope Field of Prey by John Sandford is out, and then I hope to take your advice and give Myron Bolitar a try. I notice you have your own book out there. I am very honored you took the time to reply.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:03 am

Jodi Picoult has some interesting suspenseful novels, not sure if they'd fall in the category of "mystery" or "thriller" though. Ruth Rendell is the queen of the English mystery novel, but these aren't "thrillers" in my view. They can get pretty creepy psychologically though.

legeScott3
Private E-1

Postby legeScott3 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:00 am

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Gone Girl, Dark Places, or Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn were all very good. They are dark, so don't expect to feel good after you read them, but she's one talented writer.
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:51 pm

Darling Jim by Christian Moerk. The structure is original. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

pjsix10
Private E-1

Postby pjsix10 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Ian Rankin is always a solid choice. His Rebus series is great.

Next

Return to Book Discussion