[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What Audiobook are you Currently Listening to? : Book Discussion • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What Audiobook are you Currently Listening to?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
TWErvin2
Private E-2

Re: What Audiobook are you Currently Listening to?

Postby TWErvin2 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:39 am

The original (Ender's Game) was novella in length, if I recall. I actually listened to it on cassette tape many years ago.

The movie was good, overall, but the lessons, struggles, and formed friendships in battle school, for example, couldn't be adequately portrayed in the film. I agree with James Ritchie, in the struggle to bring a novel to the movie format.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:47 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:18 am

I've listened to probably 75% of Stephen King's novels on audio. His audio books are almost always read by famous actors or actresses, which makes them that much better.

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:08 am

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Pre-ordered Shattered by Kevin Hearne, and looking forward to listening to it.

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Finished the audiobook version of Shattered by Kevin Hearne.
It's a pretty good novel, well narrated by Luke Daniels.

For those who've read/listened to the previous novels in the Iron Druid Chronicles, this one adds a 3rd POV character (Owen Kennedy--Atticus's Arch-Druid). This is a real plus for the storyline, but the POV of Atticus's former apprentice and now full druid, Granuaile, detracted from the overall story, at least as I saw it.

Good, solid action adventure, with the storyline (overall story arc) moving forward. Probably the weakest of the 7 novels thus far, but still pretty good.

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Just downloaded Hard Luck Hank: Screw the Galaxy, by Steven Campbell, who is a member here. I've seen his posts here and there on the forum.

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:53 pm

Listened to and really enjoyed Hard Luck Hank: Screw the Galaxy

It's creative and fun, with interesting characters and a storyline that advances at a good pace, and ties together well.

Hard Luck Hank is an interesting character who knows he's pretty durable but not indestructible, and not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he gets things done.

I'd say worth giving a try.

ChasTX
Private E-1

Postby ChasTX » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:19 pm

I thought I’d nudge this thread as I’ve listened to several good ones recently. I prefer listening to non-fiction books and actually prefer to read most fiction and history... perhaps it’s just me! My top 5 audible books follow (even including 1 audible work of fiction):

* Why an Economy Grows and Why is Crashes - Schiff & Schiff (A clever and sobering tale of the inception, growth and collapse of the “fish economy”, with parallels in our everyday micro and macro economic experiences)
* Five Elements of Critical Thinking - Starbird & Burger (Finally, someone who simplified and defined the essence of the process of “solving” complex problems)
* Street Smarts - Brodsky (Insightful grounded business startup advice)
* Automate this - How Algorithms Came to Rule the World – Steiner (An eye opening account of the role algorithms play in our everyday lives, from finance, to music, to transportation)
* The Last Patriot - Thor (Predictable, but enjoyable)

Vaterstix
Private E-1

Postby Vaterstix » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:32 pm

Listening to A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin right now but also looking to listening to Stephen King's On Writing as well, which I've very good things on.

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion