Stephen King's Doctor Sleep

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
KellyRwrites
Private E-1

Stephen King's Doctor Sleep

Postby KellyRwrites » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:38 am

I finished it yesterday, and it was excellent. It had been a long time since I had read King, but when I saw the blurb about the new release a few months ago, and how it was the continued story The Shining, I had to read it. Imagine my joy when my library had it front and center last Wednesday!
It had many gory and spooky moments, true King style, and goosebumps broke out on my skin more than once while reading it. He puts in a nice author note at the end, explaining how he was asked, "What ever happened to Danny?" and the thought never left him. He knew he had to finish the story, and I think he did it magnificently.
A major force running through it is the ugliness of alcoholism and how Danny struggles with it, the way his father did. Those that are familiar with King know that he too, also struggled with it and his knowledge about the disease lends authenticity.
If you're a King fan, you want to pick this up. Reading King always helps me write more effectively, to put in more detail, which I always tend to go light on. He breaks scenes down into minute moments and teaches the writer within to pay attention to tiny details.

Return to Book Discussion