Jungleland by Christopher S. Stewart

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Dostxbook
Captain

Jungleland by Christopher S. Stewart

Postby Dostxbook » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Does Ciudad Blanca (the “White City”) really exist, and is finding it, along with the civilization that disappeared with it, worth the cost? Leaving his wife and three-year-old daughter behind in Brooklyn, Christopher S. Stewart sets out to find the lost city, and in the process he learns more about himself and answers the unspoken question that lingers throughout his 256-page journey of discovery, Jungleland.

The book follows two paths. First, Stewart details the life and explorations of Theodore Morde (1911 – 1954). Through the book, Stewart takes the reader on a journey following Morde, who, seventy years earlier, ventured through the jungle of Honduras in search of the same city. Morde later dubbed the place he found as “The Lost City of the Monkey God.” As the story unfolds, using a journalist style similar to those of Michael Lewis (Moneyball, The Big Short) andTom Wolfe (The Right Stuff), Stewart interjects Morde’s own thoughts and observations during his own trip, bringing to life the man who was once an explorer as well as a journalist, a diplomat, and a spy.

The second path follows the journey of Stewart, who seeks to retrace Morde’s journey and find the city as well. Along the way, the reader watches as Stewart faces the Honduran jungle, a small band of river pirates, as well as various native tribes. Stewart also opens up and provides an intimate look at his own personal journey of understanding.

I found the book a fascinating read. Stewart uses colorful language to describe the region, and I learned much about the land, the people, as well as a new understanding of politics, government, and the kind of person who is driven to explore the unknown.

I don’t know if any of you have read this book. If not, I think it is a worthwhile read.

To those who have read this book, I wonder if there are others like it that you can recommend.
Stephen Book

Return to Book Discussion