[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Graceling Seiries : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The Graceling Seiries

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
mokingjay
Private E-1

The Graceling Seiries

Postby mokingjay » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:21 pm

I heard about this book called Graceling. It's a young Adult fantasy and the plot seems unique and interesting.
However, i read an excerpt on Amazon and the writing was ghastly.
Has any One read this book? If so is it good and is the writing as bad as the one section made it look? I can not read books with bad writing, it ruins them for me, so I'm not sure if i should read it.
"We must not look at goblin men, we must not buy their fruit. Who knows upon which soil they fed their hungry thirsty roots." `Christina Rosetti

The Cormorant
Private E-1

Re: The Graceling Seiries

Postby The Cormorant » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:14 am

I don't like having books on my DNF shelf, but unfortunately this falls under that category.

I'm a 28 year old male, so I don't know if I fall in the intended demographic for this book. Sometimes I read what's popular to get a feel for what people like. Outside Harry Potter and Hunger Games I've never been able to enjoy many YA novels. I also cringe when the story's protagonist comes off as a whiny brat. "The 5th Wave" had me going for the first few pages and it was all downhill from there. I kept trying to push myself to read, but I just couldn't. In all fairness, I made it past the half way point before I decided Graceling wasn't working out for me. It had potential, but it just didn't get me there.
"The hearts of Arabs are filled with words of furious passion that slip through eloquent tongues, unto deaf ears, which belong to nodding heads."

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:33 pm

I read and write YA fantasy, so Graceling should have been right up my alley. I don't remember the writing being bad (it's been a couple years since I read it), but the story didn't live up to the hype, imo. I'd go into why, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who still wants to read it.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 pm

I don't read many YA books, but I've read Graceling. I didn't think the writing was particularly bad. Not great, just not bad. The dialogue did bother me, though, and right from the start the character shouted Mary Sue to me. Not something I'd recommend to others.

Return to Book Discussion