[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Need info : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Need info

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

Need info

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15 am

I am doing research on the Arthurian area and would like to know if anyone has information on the Glastonbury and Bristol areas. Primarily looking for what the area looks like now and in days of yore. I need present day living etc, as compared to olden days. I understand there was a Jewish community in the area which came from Israel originally. Where is this area? Also what is the distance between Bristol and Glastonbury. Are there any travel books that might help. Pictures would be a great help in my being able to describe the area both in olden times and in modern times. Thanks for any and all help. My local library, which is small compared to big cities, only had one book which was a bit helpful, but not the info I really need.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Re: Need info

Postby Elibet1 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 am

Carol, sorry I don't know anything about the areas, but wanted to say that most libraries have a loan system where patrons (your good self) can borrow books from the bigger libraries.

Also if you search the web for Summerset/shire you might find some photographic refs that could help. I found this: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... es/som.htm and found a map from Glastonbury (1720). Interesting to see there were something like four or five churches on that road.

All the best,
Elizabeth

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:08 pm

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Wow, thanks Liz and Kim. I've looked at the site you mentioned Liz and then went on to some other sites regarding the Tor. Your tip about Louse may be just the ticket. I'll keep that in mind and hope she might be of some help. Again, much appreciated.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Travel guides like "Lonely Planet" are good. There is one all about walking & hiking in Great Britain, which would probably be very helpful.

Glastonbury is very "new-agey" with shops selling all kinds of crystals and, believe it or not, Native North American dream-catchers. There's a huge music festival there every summer. The smell of marijuana pervades the atmosphere even as you walk down rainy country lanes. Sheep and little stone walls, like everywhere in Britain. For Bristol, the first couple of seasons of Being Human were set in Bristol, so you can see various scenes of the city on that TV show. Bristol is a port, a harbour town.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:07 am

What a great find LM that is a great portion of the type of information I need. Thank you so much for the info. If I need a little more, such as streets etc., could I pm you. My character is taking a trip to Bristol and then on Glastonbury, which is part of the plot. What you have given me certainly will lend character to the story and plot. Much appreciated.However, I still need to do a great deal more research, but what you gave is very helpful. I have gone into Bristol on line looking for apartments to rent and found three areas which look appealing and would fit in very nicely. In all the research I've done so far, it was never mentioned that it was a seaport, that too will help with the story line. You are a goldmine of information. thanks again.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:40 am

You're welcome. Maps might be available on the internet. Google lets you look at street scenes. I like your idea of researching through the town newspapers, it can provide not only street addresses & what kind of income bracket lives in different neighbourhoods, but also what businesses are operating, what's going on culturally, where the museums and art galleries, etc., are. Research transit too, what trains & buses go between Bristol & Glastonbury.

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Ok, I know a bit about that area and did visit once, but obviously not as much as someone who lives there (I have a friend who lives in Bath, which is not far). First off, I can recommend a YA series I read when I was younger as the second book features the area of Glastonbury and might give you a feel for it - The Wyrd Museum series by Robin Jarvis, YA so probably a quick read. There should also be *loads* of touristy information on the area, as it is very popular, especially when the festival is on.

Bristol was a major port city at one point, so that's probably why it had a Jewish community - I don't know if it does now though. As a port with control of the Bristol channel (an estuary which requires ships to take a pilot on board to navigate) it also had a big smuggling scene at one point. That's all history though, pre-18th century. Nowadays, its still a port, but also a vibrant cultural scene (there's a BBC base there, and of course Aardmen and Banksy), a university, and several landmarks (like the Clifton Suspension Bridge - that's a major landmark. Everything set in Bristol has a shot of that somewhere). I imagine there's still some migration into the city so you might want to look at census statistics to get a feel for the demographics (last census was 2011). Immigration is a major topic in all cities in the UK these days.

You might want to get a hold of the relevant Lonely Planet guide (the one for Southwest England) and have a look at the Ordnance Survey maps. For historical information try the relevant GENUKI site.

Glastonbury looks more like hedgerows than stone walls. The more south you go the more hedges replace walls, as a general rule. Glastonbury looks like a fairly standard town otherwise. I imagine it's high street has gone the way of all the others, with the exception of the New Age shops. There won't be any trains. Beeching sorted that :D

What kind of present day living info you after?
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Bristol has a , too.

A search for "Bristol Historical Maps" at also turned up lots of results. Same for , perhaps?
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks Louise and thanks Rob. You have helped a great deal. To fill you in my MC is planning a trip to Bristol, Clevedon and Glastonbury. When she lands she will have to be able to pinpoint streets where she will stay and certain landmarks. The man she will see in Bristol has his own business, so I must know of business areas. Due to the hidden nature of her trip and need to know where the Jewish community is has much to do with the plot. She has ESP which is one of her main reasons to visit Glastonbury. The main highway from Bristol to Glastonbury will be named and may be of importance. As she will stay for one month in the area she must be familiar with all areas. I just had a notice from my library that a book I ordered about England has arrived, so will check that out. With all the information you have given me I think I will be able to do the research I need to continue the story, but not till I feel familiar enough with the area to write about it successfully. Again, my sincere thanks for your help.

Return to Book Discussion