[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How do you pick books to read?... : Book Discussion • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How do you pick books to read?...

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: How do you pick books to read?...

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:55 pm

I read books by my favorite authors first, authors in my genre recommended by friends second, classic novels third, and a few others in between. I never read reviews. :D

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:58 am

If I'm going to pick a book to read at the library. I usually go by genre or subject matter, title, summary then if I'm interested I'll read the first page to see if it'll keep me going then jump to the middle to see if the style is still the same and jump near the end cause to me third time's a charm.

If that routine doesn't work I ask friends, BAM or Barnes& Noble reps. Reviews for books on Goodreads.com that are similar to other books I like or by genre. And lastly bestseller lists.

Now if I were going to pick a book to buy...and read it. Sadly my first is objectively to judge it by it's cover. Cause by analyzing the cover of the book I assume what kind of style the book is gonna entail and well a picture is a thousand words into the story. And usually the cover is supposed to capture the essence of the story. Also it tells me if I don't like cover then the publisher didn't invest into it because of the little faith they had in it.
Plus I want to keep the book to read it again and again after that. Even though my TBR pile is more than the books I have read on my shelf it's sort of a bad habit I still rely on.

With that said I have to say there are some books where I don't understand the cover to the book at all. Like the Twilight saga, the Alex Rider books and Hunger Games it's probably just the style that they're done that bugs me. Cause I have a couple of friends that talked how great the books were but I can't bring myself to even try to read Hunger Games. If it's that great why does the cover look so boring.

There's a couple of times where the title of the book that draws me in far more than the cover. Like Shadowmancer by G.P. Taylor which I read and Insurgent by Veronica Roth which I haven't. The concept of a corrupted priest I thought was fascinating so I read it to find out what happened to the kids that opposed him. As for Insurgent... the title brings an image to mind. Though the cover in my opinion is superior to Hunger Games but it still throws me off as to what the story is about. I got to the summary and that's as far as I got.

The only exception to all of these was Harry Potter. Just to see what all the hooplaa was about. I watched the first two movies in 2003 when the hysteria over having it banned had died down and my parents lifted their ban as well. After watching the first two movies I gobbled the Prisoner of Azkaban like it was candy and the rest that followed soon after. I enjoyed the movies having the characters come to life but I appreciate the books more just because it has more action with the characters in it.

Ps: I did go back read the first two Harry Potter's. To make sure I didn't miss out on anything that wasn't in the movies. :D

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:25 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 am

Ooh I forgot when I'm reading or skimming the summary I look for the character's that would peak my interest into reading the book. If I don't like the character I see if I like the plot. I usually like to read underdogs but if it's too much like good vs evil then I might read it depending if I'm in the mood for a good cheesy story :D or one with a serious tone. :x But then there's sometimes where I'm looking for a book that will guarantee me with not having "I am your father" lines or something similar or hiding the gender of a certain character and then dropping the ball that they're not in dialogue. Which makes me distrust the author don't get me wrong I like a good revelation but not to the point where there's a load of them dumped onto the reader at the end. What kind of characters do you like to read or look for when picking out a book, updog?

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:30 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:18 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:26 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:36 am

Well, I don't read comics, so you have me there. But those Harry Potter pictures came later, not sooner, and the first books were bestsellers before they had pictures. And would they be any better or any worse, if those illustrations were horrible, or had nothing to do with the novel?

Comics aside, judging a book by it's cover really is a terrible idea.

petsnponies
Private E-1

Postby petsnponies » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:25 pm

I try my best not to but often if I go to the library I do find myself doing exactly that!

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:14 am

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion