[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
YA Novel Recommendations? : Book Discussion • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

YA Novel Recommendations?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Beth Rodgers
Private E-1

Re: YA Novel Recommendations?

Postby Beth Rodgers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:59 am

I haven't read the Mortal Instruments series. I like the idea that it was turned into a double-trilogy. Cool concept. I'll have to check them out. Thanks, LoverOfWords!
My blog with tips about getting past writer's block -

Muppetcow
Private E-1

Postby Muppetcow » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:46 pm

After reading The Hunger Games trilogy, I read nothing but YA dystopian/post-apocalyptic novels for several months. If that's not your thing, you probably won't like any of these, but these are some of my faves:

Divergent by Veronica Roth - it's the first in a trilogy; the 2nd one is called Insurgent and both I and my 14 year old stepdaughter loved them both. The 3rd is supposed to come out in the fall. The first movie is due to be released in Spring 2014.

As already mentioned, Legend by Marie Lu.

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau (also part of a series--trilogy, I think)

The Enclave series by Ann Aguirre

smbrazil
Private E-1

Postby smbrazil » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Don't often read YA but finished a 4-book series a few months ago that was just so luminous and intriguing and simple. Can't remember them all but the first was "Wings" another was "Illusions" and "Spells" maybe....just created a world beyond the veil. Never felt like it was just for kids.

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:13 pm

A couple of YA novels that are pretty good but you might not have come across:

by David Wood
It's fast paced novel about a teen trying to survive the zombie apocalypse, and trying to find a reason to live. The story is packed with action and some bits of dark humor.

and

by Stephen Hines
It's a story meant for young adults who don't fit the athlete or academic achiever arena. Lenny is a kid new to town and trying to find his way, when the eye doctor gives him a pair of contact lenses that enable him to see people in different ways, offering some insight into who they really are.

Beth Rodgers
Private E-1

Postby Beth Rodgers » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Hocus Focus sounds more up my alley, but I'll look into the other one as well. I appreciate it!
My blog with tips about getting past writer's block -

hd135357
Private E-1

Postby hd135357 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am

I recently read the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and really enjoyed them. I would say they are my new favorite young adult books!

pjsix10
Private E-1

Postby pjsix10 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:12 pm

I read, and loved, The Fault in Our Stars. Absolutely terrific book.

Another one that's off the radar of most is a book that's sort of an adult fairy tale: The Boy With the Cuckoo Clock Heart. I really loved that one.

carlyumz
Private E-1

Postby carlyumz » Fri May 09, 2014 11:20 am

Going to reinforce the recommendations for Eleanor & Park, brilliant!

If you liked that then Rachel Cohn's Dash & Lily's Book of Dares is similar and quite a fun, light-hearted read. It's set across Christmas in New York so might not read as well in May as it did when I initially read it.

I've also just finished reading David Levithan's Every Day (about a 16yo who wakes up in a different body everyday and accidentally falls in love with the girlfriend of one of his hosts), I enjoyed it but have heard mixed reviews about its believability. I'd still say it's worth a read.

It's my first book of his, has anyone read any/can recommend any of his other work?

Subtlygold
Private E-1

Postby Subtlygold » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:48 am

Instead of reading overrated Young adult books and series, I strongly recommend that you read 'Noughts and Crosses' by Malorie Blackman. It's an amazing series - one that will stay with you long after you've completed reading it. I also love the way the book is written. It's a really inspiring read!
Your visit will be appreciated ...

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:48 am

Not "Slammed" ! Whatever you do, not "Slammed" !

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion