[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
YA Novel Recommendations? : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

YA Novel Recommendations?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Beth Rodgers
Private E-1

YA Novel Recommendations?

Postby Beth Rodgers » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:16 am

As an aspiring young adult novelist, I'm always looking for YA books that I haven't had a chance to read yet. What are some of your favorites?

Whenever anyone asks me that question, I always say that anything by Sonya Sones is in my list of favorites because her novel-in-verse style of writing is so creative and tells her stories so beautifully. My favorite book by her would have to be What My Mother Doesn't Know. I also love Carolyn Mackler's writing. The Earth, My Butt, and Other BIg, Round Things is a great one, as are all her others. I always find ways to add to my writing after reading anything by either of these awesome authors.
My blog with tips about getting past writer's block -

Laycrew
Major

Re: YA Novel Recommendations?

Postby Laycrew » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:49 am

When updog has a chance to see this, she will probably have lots of recommends. I'm writing YA right now and have been on a real reading binge. I read a book recently that she loved and I loved it too. It is "Eleanor and Park" by Rainbow Rowell. "Fangirl" is the next one I want to read from her.

I haven't read any of the John Green books yet but I think they are next on my list. "Looking for Alaska" and "The Fault in our Stars" are two off the top of my head.

I've read "Hunger Games" but didn't really want to read past the first book but my 16-year-old loves that series. I just read "Legend" by Marie Lu and I liked that one. It's first in a trilogy. The second book "Prodigy" is out but the last one isn't out until November though.

Beth Rodgers
Private E-1

Postby Beth Rodgers » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:52 pm

I haven't heard of the first two you mentioned, but they sound interesting based on the reviews I just read of them. Eleanor and Park sounds like it's especially up my alley. I've heard great things about John Green's books too, so I think I should definitely pick those up soon. I'm not sure if I'm interested in Hunger Games, but I'll have to check out the other ones you mentioned. Thanks for the tips :)

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Sure thing. :D I thought about mentioning "Perks of Being a Wallflower". It was an emotional read, but for some reason when I got done I really didn't think I cared for it as much.

I mainly read "Hunger Games" to see what the hype was about because I kept hearing so much about it. That was before the movie came out. "Legend" is fast paced sort of in a similiar theme. It may not be for you either. I don't know. I happen to like a wide variety of genres. I really enjoyed "Harry Potter". I didn't venture into the "Twilight" series at all though. I won't bash it. It just wasn't for me.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 am

Hi, Beth.

Laycrew listed the ones I'd have mentioned right off the bat, but I can certainly recommend more if I know what genres you're interested in. I read a lot of YA fantasy, so that's what I know best, but you should be able to find good examples of what's selling right now off awards lists and bestseller charts. Are you a member of Goodreads? I find a lot of great books through members there.

Here's a couple of links that might help you out.

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Beth Rodgers
Private E-1

Postby Beth Rodgers » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Laycrew, I actually felt the same way about The Perks of Being a Wallflower. And I LOVED the Harry Potter books. Especially the last one, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; it's one of my favorite books of all books I've read. I liked the first Twilight, but I didn't have the desire to read any more of them.

Updog, I actually am a member of Goodreads, but I haven't used it much at all. I'll have to check it out more. I really appreciate the links you attached. I'll have to check out what's on there. I actually just found a list challenge that listed NPR's 100 Best-Ever Teen Novels (http://www.listchallenges.com/npr-100-b ... ?ref=share). Check it out. It was helpful too.

My favorite genre is contemporary YA, and I like when the protagonist is a girl, but I'm not at all opposed to it being a boy. I like to write my own stories from both perspectives, but I generally lean toward the girl. I like a splash of romance, and usually some sort of unrequited love that turns into something more, but that's just how I tend to write, not how I have to read.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Ooh! That looks like fun! Thanks, Beth. (It sounds like we have a whole lot in common.)
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

xylene
Private E-2

Postby xylene » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 pm

That's a nice list, lots of books I still have to read on it!

It also reminded me of The Amulet of Samarkand series, which I absolutely loved. It really has some of the snarkiest, most hilarious characters I've ever read, which made it an instant favorite of mine. If there's one thing that wins me over in a heartbeat, it's good ol' sarcasm.

Beth Rodgers
Private E-1

Postby Beth Rodgers » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Xylene - I hadn't heard of The Amulet of Samarkand. It sounds interesting. It wouldn't necessarily be my choice when looking for YA books to read, but it made me think of Harry Potter a little when I read the description on Amazon. Harry was 11 when he found out he was a wizard, and Nathaniel's issues in The Amulet of Samarkand begin just before his eleventh birthday. I'll add it to my list of what I'll have to take a look at. Thanks for the suggestion!

LoverOfWords
Private E-1

Postby LoverOfWords » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:14 pm

I enjoyed the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare. It's fairly popular, so you may have read them already. It was a trilogy turned into a double-trilogy. I think the first three books are great, especially with plot and character development. The next three seem to be faltering a little. It's urban fantasy, and I like the bits of humor.

Next

Return to Book Discussion