[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
mfarraday
Lieutenant

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

Postby mfarraday » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:01 am

Has anyone else read this? I just finished it...it was riveting. I am still processing it. 5 stars, and I would never have guessed at the twist which is revealed in the last 2 pages. Wow.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

Postby LMGilbert » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:27 am

I'll have to try Jodi Picoult, I've looked at a couple of her books without being seriously tempted... but your comment has me intrigued. Love a good plot twist.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon May 13, 2013 7:59 am

OK, here comes another serious reading addiction. I read "The Tenth Circle" and absolutely loved it, but then I've always been a fan of graphic novels. Now I've started "Vanishing Acts" and will probably make my way through the collection of Picoult at the local library. I really admire her commitment to research, and I think that's what made "The Tenth Circle" so riveting, the truth in the details. It's not that the style of writing is much different from standard paperback-novel-on-the-grocery-store-bookrack. In fact, some things really irritated me, like the use of "belch" and "belching" far too often; but even that didn't get in the way of the story and its authenticity.

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Mon May 13, 2013 11:10 am

Good to hear about her other works. I kind of want to see what else she's done, too. I agree that she does a great job researching.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Wed May 15, 2013 7:28 am

I'm enjoying the story and the characters in "Vanishing Acts" but am not thrilled with the device of switching POV. She has four different characters telling the story from their point of view. That wouldn't be too awful in itself, but someone has decided to present each character's narration in a different style of font.... yuck!

Return to Book Discussion